General Board

• Recommend useful replies to give out SEEDs and raise your level as well.
  • You can select the most useful reply as the Best Answer for your thread.
  • Share topics you want to discuss on Facebook or Twitter and earn SEEDs!
  • Share your knowledge by posting in threads that interest you.
Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

getNeighboringCellInfo() on GT-I9070

Forums View
Started by Newbie giuseppe.caliciuri , 0 Seed Oct 01, 2012 10:16 Posts : 6 View : 5637 Likes : 1
Hi, i want to know how to display neighboring cell on 2g mode. I Use the function getNeighboringCellInfo() from library TelephonyManager, bu it fail. Also using the smartphone  in the service mode, the status of neighboring cell is not active. How can i enable this feature for to use in my application?
Best regards
Pino

PS. my app has all the necessary permits!!
Board View
Newbie a.stepniewsk , 40 Seed Oct 03, 2012 09:37 Post #1 0

Originally posted by : giuseppe.caliciuri@

Hi, i want to know how to display neighboring cell on 2g mode. I Use the function getNeighboringCellInfo() from library TelephonyManager, bu it fail. Also using the smartphone  in the service mode, the status of neighboring cell is not active. How can i enable this feature for to use in my application?
Best regards
Pino

Dear Giuseppe,

I would just want to confirm that you're using the right approach. Can you confirm that you're trying it this way:

TelephonyManager tm = (TelephonyManager) getSystemService(TELEPHONY_SERVICE);
    List<NeighboringCellInfo> cells = tm.getNeighboringCellInfo();

for (NeighboringCellInfo cell : cells) {
        // Do some stuff with cell
    }

and that you also have the <uses-permission> tag in your AndroidManifest.xml:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION" />

Is this code working for you, or not?

If it doesn't could you also provide me some additional information:
- Can you try retrieving the list using different configurations (2G only, 3G only, SIM card registered to the network, without a SIM card) and tell me if it works at some point or not?
- Can you provide me your device's Model number, Android Version, Baseband version, Kernel version and Build number from 'Settings > About' menu?
- Does it work on your other devices (Samsung or others) and if yes could you write me which ones

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie giuseppe.caliciuri , 0 Seed Oct 03, 2012 13:32 Post #2 0

Originally posted by : a.stepniewsk@

Best regards
Pino

Dear Giuseppe,

I would just want to confirm that you're using the right approach. Can you confirm that you're trying it this way:

}

- Can you try retrieving the list using different configurations (2G only, 3G only, SIM card registered to the network, without a SIM card) and tell me if it works at some point or not?
- Can you provide me your device's Model number, Android Version, Baseband version, Kernel version and Build number from 'Settings > About' menu?
- Does it work on your other devices (Samsung or others) and if yes could you write me which ones

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Dear Artur,
the code I use is just what you've written, but it doesn't work, returns an empty list!!
In the AndroidManifest.xml file, I use also  "android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION."
I also use the smartphone in 2g network, the simcard is registered.
My smartphone is Samsung Galaxy S Advance, model GT-I9070,
Android version 2.3.6, baseband version I9070XXLD3, Kernel Version
2.6.35.7-I9070XXLD3-CL1102255 se.infra@SEI-45 #2, build version GIRGERBREAD.XXLD3.
My Application doesn't work on many samsung device, but on lg optimus one p500 work perfectly.
Other applications that are on google play store, like gsm signal monitoring, doesn't work
on device samsung, but it work on lg optimus one. What is the problem?
I bought this smartphone because I need to develop an application that uses
these specifications.

Regards
Giuseppe
Board View
Newbie a.stepniewsk , 40 Seed Oct 04, 2012 08:01 Post #3 0

Originally posted by : a.stepniewsk@

Best regards
Pino

Dear Giuseppe,

}

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Dear Artur,
the code I use is just what you've written, but it doesn't work, returns an empty list!!
In the AndroidManifest.xml file, I use also  "android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION."
I also use the smartphone in 2g network, the simcard is registered.
My smartphone is Samsung Galaxy S Advance, model GT-I9070,
Android version 2.3.6, baseband version I9070XXLD3, Kernel Version
2.6.35.7-I9070XXLD3-CL1102255 se.infra@SEI-45 #2, build version GIRGERBREAD.XXLD3.
My Application doesn't work on many samsung device, but on lg optimus one p500 work perfectly.
Other applications that are on google play store, like gsm signal monitoring, doesn't work
on device samsung, but it work on lg optimus one. What is the problem?
I bought this smartphone because I need to develop an application that uses
these specifications.

Regards
Giuseppe

Dear Giuseppe,

Thank you for your precise response.

I've send your report to a proper person. I will post an update if I get some new information on this topic.

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie liyanqing008 , 0 Seed Dec 13, 2012 03:03 Post #4 0
 Have you soved the problem about samsung getNeighboringCellInfo? if you have the solution, could you help me? i have the same problem.
my email is liyanqing008@gmail.com
thank you!

This content has been quoted from giuseppe.caliciuri@’s thought. (Link to original post)

Best regards
Pino

Board View
Newbie lvbernal , 230 Seed Feb 11, 2013 16:23 Post #5 0
Its a shame that Samsung phones does not implements the whole Android API. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 with Android 4.1.2 to develop my Master project, but I get the same error: getNeighboringCellInfo() always return an empty list.

Now I'm using an BORROWED HTC Vivid, that works perfectly.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus, a Google Phone, has the same problem.
Board View
Newbie lvbernal , 230 Seed Feb 11, 2014 22:57 Post #6 1
One year since I posted this... what a shame.

This content has been quoted from lvbernal’s thought.

Its a shame that Samsung phones does not implements the whole Android API. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 with Android 4.1.2 to develop my Master project, but I get the same error: getNeighboringCellInfo() always return an empty list.

Now I’m using an BORROWED HTC Vivid, that works perfectly.

The Samsung Galaxy Nexus, a Google Phone, has the same problem.