General Board

Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

Samsung devices and Accessibility Services

Forums View
Started by Newbie mobiletrialware , 0 Seed Nov 05, 2012 16:37 Posts : 84 View : 125497 Likes : 1
Hey Samsung,

I am the creator of Audio Control and am experiencing some strange issues on a few of your devices (Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2). I run an accessibility service which follows the Android guidelines perfectly but when it is enabled on these devices some crazy things happen.

Talkback speaks randomly when folders are created and sometimes in the web browser, even when it is not enabled.
On the Note 2 the Swiftkey Flow app stops working properly. 
On the Note 2 the Air View must be disabled when my application has nothing to do with this feature.

I've also emailed the developer of Light Flow who is experiencing many of the same issues. Both of us are receiving negative ratings and feedback in our applications because of these issues. Could I get a little help with these issues please?
Tags

AccessibilityService

Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Nov 05, 2012 19:08 Post #1 0
 Hi
Yes I'm the author of lightflow and over 50 percent of my support time is regarding this issue. It doesn't happen on devices from other manufacturers. 

I've also spoken to the developers of tasker, noLed and llama and they all have the same issue. 

I'm happy to provide a sample project demonstrating the issue. 
Board View
Newbie ali , 0 Seed Nov 06, 2012 13:37 Post #2 0
Hi, I'm the developer of NoLED :-)

Same issue experienced with my users. If you switch any third party app in Accessibility:

a. The Touchwiz Launcher activates Talkback so opening folders and opening the app drawer gives a voice feedback as well.
b. The Swype functionality in Samsung's keyboard stop working.

These two issues are directly linked with Samsung's system apps (TWLauncher and keyboard). This issue does not happen in any AOSP based ROM and surely not on any of the Google Nexus devices including the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Please fix it Samsung.

Thank you,
Board View
Newbie a.stepniewsk , 40 Seed Nov 07, 2012 08:16 Post #3 0
Dear all,

Thank you for posting.

You are right about the issue - I was able to fully reproduce it with each of your applications (using Galaxy S3 - Talk back being disabled and still notifying about opening and closing the folder and Samsung keyboard settings > Continuous input being disabled).

I would be grateful for additional information so I can pass you report to our engineers:
- Provide the build information from your devices that are affected (S3, Note 2 and others if any) from Settings > About device (i.e. Model number, Android version, Baseband version, Kernel version, Build number)
- Attach a sample application (nothing fancy, really) that will allow our engineers to fully reproduce the issue
- Collect any other issue that you are facing with accessibility (apart from those already mentioned here)

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie contact , 0 Seed Nov 07, 2012 09:59 Post #4 0
Hi, i'm the author of NotiferPro, iPhone Notifications, LockerPro, ...

Same problem here. This is strongly impacting the user experience.

On my end, some reports indicated that the problem also occured on some Galaxy Nexus phones, but it seems to be over now with the last updates.

Reports also indicate that strange accessibility features are enabled on browser apps like Firefox and Chrome (password being asked constantely, orange rectangles appearing on touch).

Thank you.
Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 Post #5 0
Thanks Artur. I'll upload the sample app I've already written later today when I'm back at home.

As far as versions I've had reports from every varient of s3 (apart from the Korean one, but I think that's due to not having many korean users of the app).
I personally have an S3 gt-i9300 (from 3 UK) and an AT&T sgh-i747 device.

The 9300 runs the latest stock jellybean rom and the i747 running ice cream sandwich. I'll get the specific version number once I'm hold of my devices, but it seems to be an issue regardless of the version and it seems consistent on android 4.0 or greater versions when touchwiz is used for the folder/talkback issue.

As for the galaxy nexus issue, users can sometimes get talkback from web pages and google reader if "enhance web accessibility" is set to anything other than "not allowed". The same also happens for some users on the s3 with the "install web scripts" if it's not set to "not allowed".

This content has been quoted from a.stepniewsk@’s thought. (Link to original post)

Dear all,

Thank you for posting.

You are right about the issue - I was able to fully reproduce it with each of your applications (using Galaxy S3 - Talk back being disabled and still notifying about opening and closing the folder and Samsung keyboard settings > Continuous input being disabled).

I would be grateful for additional information so I can pass you report to our engineers:
- Provide the build information from your devices that are affected (S3, Note 2 and others if any) from Settings > About device (i.e. Model number, Android version, Baseband version, Kernel version, Build number)
- Attach a sample application (nothing fancy, really) that will allow our engineers to fully reproduce the issue
- Collect any other issue that you are facing with accessibility (apart from those already mentioned here)

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Nov 07, 2012 18:16 Post #6 0
Ok, here's the demo project. Just import into eclipse and build. When running switch on the "samsung demo" accessibility service and then pinch-zoom the screen and try the keyboard and see the issue.

You'll see the project really has pretty much no code and I've tried the following accessibilityFeedbackTypes:
feedbackSpoken
feedbackHaptic
feedbackAudible
feedbackVisual
feedbackGeneric
feedbackAllMask

The issue also occurs if declared in code instead of xml.

Demo tested on: SGH-I747
Android version 4.0.4
Basebank I747UCLH9
Kernel: 3.0.8-985684
Buld Number: IMM76D.I747UCALH9

Also tested on:

GT-I9300
Android version 4.1.1
Baseband: I9300NEDLI1
Kernel: 3.0.31-288630
Build Number: JRO03C.I9300XXDLJ1

Let me know if you need any more information.
Andrew

File Attachments
Board View
Newbie a.stepniewsk , 40 Seed Nov 08, 2012 08:18 Post #7 0
Dear Andrew,

Update: Downloaded the file.

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie a.stepniewsk , 40 Seed Nov 08, 2012 09:53 Post #8 0
Dear all,

Thank you for your time and effort.

I submitted a ticket for these issues and will post an update as soon as I get a response.

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Nov 08, 2012 13:44 Post #9 0
Excellent, thanks for submitting that. Looking forward to the response.
Andrew
Board View
Newbie mobiletrialware , 0 Seed Nov 08, 2012 18:30 Post #10 0
Thank you for your help. 
Board View
Newbie contact , 0 Seed Nov 15, 2012 13:33 Post #11 0
Hi.

I'd like to report another issue with Samsung devices and Accessibility Service.

This issue is related to the stock mail app, Samsung Mail, package name com.android.email.

I've had many reports stating that the app doesn't raise any accessibility event in the event of receiving an email. However, it does work for the events of sending or deleting emails.

I've had those kinds of reports for Galaxy S3 devices and Galaxy Note 2.

Have you guys had any reports like this ?

Thanks.
Board View
Newbie a.stepniewsk , 40 Seed Nov 16, 2012 10:13 Post #12 0
Dear User,

Thank you for posting.

I've already submitted a ticket about Email (com.android.email) accessibility issue. I'll keep you updated when we have any additional information regarding this issue.

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie contact , 0 Seed Nov 16, 2012 11:36 Post #13 0
Ok I didn't see there already was a post about this issue.

Thanks for your time and your patience.
Board View
Newbie a.stepniewsk , 40 Seed Nov 16, 2012 11:47 Post #14 0
What I meant was that I've submitted your ticket :).

Thank you again for posting. We'll keep you updated.

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie cs3vigny , 0 Seed Nov 30, 2012 15:18 Post #15 0
 Hi,

I am the developer of Droid Notify apps and I can confirm this same issue. When the Droid Notify Plus accessabiltiy  service is enabled, the device starts talking to the user AKA, TalkBack is enabled. This is a pretty serious bug and should be attended to ASAP.

Thanks,

-Camille
Board View
Newbie a.stepniewsk , 40 Seed Dec 03, 2012 10:31 Post #16 0
Dear Camille,

Thank you for posting.

As I already mentioned we already submitted this issue ticket and we will keep you updated.

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Dec 23, 2012 22:55 Post #17 0
 One more accessibility related issue that I've recreated.

If you enable accessibility then in the stock browser on the galaxy nexus, the address bar doesn't auto-hide like it normally does. It just stays displaying at the top all the time.
Could you add that to things to look into with this ticket?

Thanks
Andrew
Board View
Newbie a.stepniewsk , 40 Seed Jan 02, 2013 08:22 Post #18 0
Dear Andrew,

I can't actually reproduce the issue in any way. Could you provide some additional information:
- SW (build) version - Settings > About device
- is Explore by touch enabled? (maybe one of the options causes the weird behavior)
- what are your browser settings - did you try reverting to defaults?

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Jan 04, 2013 10:11 Post #19 0
It's on android 4.2.1 (I'll check the exact build when I've got the device with me), it didn't used to happen on older builds.
It's only on the stock browser and restoring to default settings also causes this issue. Explore by touch is not enabled.

I hadn't noticed it myself (as I use chrome myself), but a few app users has reported it and it's only happened since 4.2.1 came out.

I've also had reports of the quick controls having issues with the accessibility service.

I ended up raising this one on the android issues list as some people have ported the stock browser across from the galaxy nexus to the nexus 4 and still get the same issue.

See here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42047

I've been able to recreate both of them on my galaxy nexus, but it doesn't always happen instantly.

Board View
Newbie a.stepniewsk , 40 Seed Jan 04, 2013 10:37 Post #20 0
Dear Andrew,

Regarding reference devices and especially their stock applications it's better to submit the ticket at Google-related sites (as you already did).

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Jan 05, 2013 22:33 Post #21 0
 Yes, that's what I'd thought as I guess they are controlling the software more on these devices.

I guess there's been no update on the touchwiz accessibility issue initially raised yet? (I've had several hundred e-mails over the christmas period about this issue!)

Thanks
Andrew
Board View
Newbie a.stepniewsk , 40 Seed Jan 07, 2013 07:34 Post #22 0
I don't have any update regarding this issue.

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Jan 14, 2013 06:41 Post #23 0
Hi Artur
One more to add to this list. I've had a user with a note 2 GT-N7100
      android 4.1.2,
      jx054k.n7100xxdll7
      Kernel: 3.0.21-679347, se.infra@sep-66 #1 

Where if they use the email app with the pen it talks back, but if they don't use the pen it doesn't. They don't get talkback in other apps.
As I've not got a note2 to try this on and it sounded a little different I thought I'd throw it into the list also.
Thanks
Andrew
Board View
Newbie a.stepniewsk , 40 Seed Jan 14, 2013 09:07 Post #24 0
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for another report. I'll forward it and let you know if I receive any update regarding these issues.

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie dengleking , 0 Seed Feb 02, 2013 12:59 Post #25 0
 Wel it looks like Samsung really doesn't care about its customers. Nothing has been done yet. I would love to get the full Lightflow app but won't until this problem gets fixed. This is just another example of a company that is too big and refuses to help their customers. Apple would have had this taken care of by now.
Board View
Newbie hmickelson , 0 Seed Feb 07, 2013 04:46 Post #26 0
 Still nothing? Samsung?
Board View
Newbie ken.wied.911 , 0 Seed Feb 15, 2013 02:59 Post #27 0
 I find it absolutely ridiculous that we are waiting this long for a fix to be constructed.  You have customers with your product that have requested fixes and not even an update to the problem has been posted by Samsung. This problem was brought To their attention in the beginning of November!  Seems like customer service is falling along the wayside with this company too.  Sad. I used to be a big fan of Samsung products. 
Board View
Newbie miatared , 0 Seed Feb 15, 2013 15:09 Post #28 0
---- wow not impressed at all.

I feel the same way - it's been 4 months, many updates to Android. New products coming out need to use Accessibility - like the new Pebble watch...

C'mon guys prioritize and FIX IT!  Show some respect to customers.

Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Feb 24, 2013 23:54 Post #29 0
Although we've not had any official response back, I've just installed one of the leaked S3 roms (android 4.2.1)for the GT-i9300 onto one of my S3's.

It seems like the issue is fixed in this rom! I've tried folders, the edit workspace and continuous typing and they all seem to work without talkback.
Interestingly when the rom first booted I had an "accessibility hand" in the notification bar saying talkback was on even though it wasn't. It was accessibility that was on. Hope that little thing gets fixed before the official release as it confused me! 
Board View
Newbie contact , 0 Seed Feb 28, 2013 13:47 Post #30 0
Hi.

I added a manual fix in LockerPro, and I will soon apply it to my other apps, here is what I did :

I first detect if the current device has Samsung TTS installed. This app seems to be installed on all the devices on which the accessibility issue occurs :

public static boolean isSamsungPhoneWithTTS(Context context) {

boolean retour = false;

try {
        @SuppressWarnings("unused")
        ApplicationInfo info = context.getPackageManager()
                .getApplicationInfo("com.samsung.SMT", 0);
        retour = true;
    } catch (PackageManager.NameNotFoundException e) {
        retour = false;
    }

return retour;
}

If I detect that the accessibility issue may occur on this device, I prompt the user with a small tutorial explaining what to do to fix it, with 2 links :

- A first link to disable Google TTS :

Intent intent = new Intent();
intent.setAction(Settings.ACTION_APPLICATION_DETAILS_SETTINGS);
Uri uri = Uri.fromParts("package", "com.google.android.tts",
        null);
intent.setData(uri);
startActivity(intent);

- A second one to disable Samsung TTS :

Intent intent = new Intent();
intent.setAction(Settings.ACTION_APPLICATION_DETAILS_SETTINGS);
Uri uri = Uri.fromParts("package", "com.samsung.SMT",
        null);
intent.setData(uri);
startActivity(intent);

I hope this helps you.
Board View
developers.samsung , Mar 15, 2013 07:30 Post #31 0
The development team figured out the cause of the issue and corrected the cause.

They are planning to reflect it in the next version.

Regards,

Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie ken.wied.911 , 0 Seed Mar 19, 2013 02:47 Post #32 0
 Do we have any idea when this next version is going to be available? If we wait for carriers like Verizon to release it, we are better off waiting and buying a new phone because they don't do anything fast. How about a different method to get this fix?
Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Mar 19, 2013 09:18 Post #33 0
Excellent, it's nice to see that this has been acknowledged and fixed. Thanks for the update. 

This content has been quoted from developers.samsung@’s thought. (Link to original post)

The development team figured out the cause of the issue and corrected the cause.

They are planning to reflect it in the next version.

Regards,

Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie mobiletrialware , 0 Seed Apr 05, 2013 21:27 Post #34 0
 Thank you for getting this issue fixed Samsung.
Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Apr 29, 2013 05:40 Post #35 0
 Well I'm not happy to report that the s4 seems to have slightly different, but similar issues with the accessibility service.

On some models when selecting accessibility for apps you get the message

"App name"
TalkBack and the options below cannot be enabled. Enabled TalkBack?

- Air gesture
- Air view
- Assistant menu
- Smart screen
- Interaction control
- Multi window

I'm getting an increasing feeling that you either don't test your phones very thoroughly or whoever has looked into the accessibility option hasn't actually read the android documentation on it. The issue seems to be that you don't seem to actually realise that accessibility is a service used by apps and not just the one that comes installed by default on the device. I can understand TalkBack disabling these features, but talkback is just ONE OF MANY services that may exist.

So I'm finding that users get to this point in our app and uninstall it straight away. The S3 bug was the single most responsible issue for getting my app downgraded in it's star rating in the play store due to the talkback bug the S4 sitation is even worse as users never actually get to try the app because of this.

Not only that, but when people do ahead and select "ok" the listed features actually work - which is good, but the gallery app and for some the stock browser start talking (just as the homescreen did on the s3)

I've not managed to get hold of an S4 for myself yet (due to stock issues in the UK), but I'm sure that the test app I sent for the S3 and note 2 will exhibit the same issues.

Could you take a look and get back to me?

If you want to have a developer work for you who understands the accessibility service, I'm available to help.
Andrew
Board View
Newbie lzs , 210 Seed May 01, 2013 04:40 Post #36 0
 I just got the SGS4, and notice this problem happening with the Pebble app too. Samsung, I hope this gets fixed quickly. It's bothering lots of people.
Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed May 01, 2013 20:18 Post #37 0
Just to follow up here's some details of S4's where this happens:

Model: GT-I9505
Kernel: 3.4.0-431985 se.infra@SEP-124#1 - Fri Apr 12 17:22:59 KST 2013
Baseband version: I9505XXUAMDF
Build: JDQ39.I9505XXUAMDF

and

Model: SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
Kernel: 3.4.0-440216 se.infra@SEP-133#1
Build: JDQ39.I337UCUAMDB

It'd be good to get some acknowledgement of this issue.
Board View
Newbie contact , 0 Seed May 03, 2013 07:40 Post #38 0
Productigeeky here,

I am also receiving some very alarming reports from some of our users with the Samsung Galaxy S4, which is very insulting knowing you said the issue was fixed and the Galaxy S4 already received some software updates, which doesn't seem to fix this issue. Now the issue is getting worse and affecting more apps than before.

I'm pretty sure the issue is not that hard to fix, the OS is just mistaking the activation of any accessibility service for the activation of Talkback, which seems like a simple development mistake knowing that it's the only accessibility service on the phone at first. Hell I'm pretty sure I would be able to fix it myself !

Please do something fast, we developers suffered enough from the bugs on your devices, and we really would rather spend time on our apps than dealing with this.
Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed May 03, 2013 15:35 Post #39 0

This content has been quoted from contact@’s thought. (Link to original post)

Please do something fast, we developers suffered enough from the bugs on your devices, and we really would rather spend time on our apps than dealing with this.

Couldn't agree more. I've litterally spent weeks of time on this issue and had lots of negative feedback because of it.
Board View
Newbie contact , 0 Seed May 03, 2013 16:10 Post #40 0
This is getting crazy, I just heard from some users that the only possible fix we had, disabling Samsung TTS, is now impossible. Some users reported that the "disable" button is now greyed out, please tell me this is some kind of a joke.
Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed May 03, 2013 22:07 Post #41 0

This is getting crazy, I just heard from some users that the only possible fix we had, disabling Samsung TTS, is now impossible. Some users reported that the "disable" button is now greyed out, please tell me this is some kind of a joke.

I picked up an S4 specifically to look into the TTS bug people had (Didn't really want to lay down £600 to look into a bug). I can confirm this is the case. It is greyed out on the S4. It's hard to imagine how after having the report of the problem and having a fix for the s3 (well it seems to work on the leaked rom) how things have actually become worse on the s4.

I'm suprised it's not got a higher profile as surley the whole point of the accessibility section is for people with disabilities and for them I don't even see how the phone is usable.

@contact I was just this evening going to implement a tutorial similar to you in Light Flow to disable TTS for this issue until you reported this, so much appriciated.

It's awfully quiet from samsung in this thread now.... :-(
Board View
developers.samsung , May 06, 2013 05:50 Post #42 0
Dear andrewpmoore,

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your report.

I hope you to understand that This forum is run by developers like you and does not guarantee an official Samsung response to every question as our forum rule.
http://developer.samsung.com/notice/How-to-Use-the-Forum

In this case, I've tried to reproduce, but I couldn't on my s4.

Here is what I did : 
1. download accessibility apps (in this case, NoLED app)
2. Setting > My device > Accessiility > Turn on NoLED)
3.1 tried to Pinch Zoom-in on Home Screen
3.2 tried to open a folder

Please let me know If you have idea to reproduce cleary this issue on S4.

This content has been quoted from andrewpmoore@’s thought. (Link to original post)

I picked up an S4 specifically to look into the TTS bug people had (Didn't really want to lay down £600 to look into a bug). I can confirm this is the case. It is greyed out on the S4. It's hard to imagine how after having the report of the problem and having a fix for the s3 (well it seems to work on the leaked rom) how things have actually become worse on the s4.

I'm suprised it's not got a higher profile as surley the whole point of the accessibility section is for people with disabilities and for them I don't even see how the phone is usable.

@contact I was just this evening going to implement a tutorial similar to you in Light Flow to disable TTS for this issue until you reported this, so much appriciated.

It's awfully quiet from samsung in this thread now.... :-(

Board View
Newbie terryhau , 0 Seed May 06, 2013 12:48 Post #43 0
On two different Galaxy S 4s that I've tried.
I have Light Flow accessibility on (and talkback off).
Loading a web page on the default Browser will always reproduce the issue (if a webpage is already loaded, press refresh or load another page).
It will say "web page loaded" or something like that.

Board View
Newbie manuel_f2003 , 0 Seed May 06, 2013 16:20 Post #44 0

This content has been quoted from terryhau@’s thought. (Link to original post)

On two different Galaxy S 4s that I've tried.
I have Light Flow accessibility on (and talkback off).
Loading a web page on the default Browser will always reproduce the issue (if a webpage is already loaded, press refresh or load another page).
It will say "web page loaded" or something like that.

I use "Missed it" app, and the problem is the same . Several issue i have found if i check accessibility for Missed it.
Beside the issue of the spoken of several funtion on web browser and gallery, i have also see that the air view  (Galaxy s4) don´t work on stock email app, the lower window on the stock video player don´t dissapear and also the uper and lower windows on the gallery also dont dissapear.

Talkback is off but i think that the system assume that it is on and dissable several funtions on the system.
Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed May 06, 2013 23:29 Post #45 0

This content has been quoted from developers.samsung@’s thought. (Link to original post)

Dear andrewpmoore,

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your report.

I hope you to understand that This forum is run by developers like you and does not guarantee an official Samsung response to every question as our forum rule.
http://developer.samsung.com/notice/How-to-Use-the-Forum

In this case, I've tried to reproduce, but I couldn't on my s4.

Here is what I did : 
1. download accessibility apps (in this case, NoLED app)
2. Setting > My device > Accessiility > Turn on NoLED)
3.1 tried to Pinch Zoom-in on Home Screen
3.2 tried to open a folder

Please let me know If you have idea to reproduce cleary this issue on S4.

The pinch-to-zoom issue doesn't exist on the s4, but the following two issues do.

In the stock browser (if the media volume is not set to silent) you'll get "page loading", "page loaded" messages.
If you long press in the gallery app on an image you'll get "1 item selected".

Plus it'll force you to switch off air view, air gesture and other things. You can switch them back on, but air view then doesn't totally work (ie hovering over an email contact)

Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed May 09, 2013 09:07 Post #46 0
This issue continues to frustrate as I've just had an email forwarded onto me from Samsung customer support for a client of our app. They've flagged to the custom that it's a known issue with Light Flow that I need to fix. Very frustrating when I know that information is incorrect.

It seems I try all I can to try and help resolve the issue and all I'm getting back is accusations that there's nothing wrong with the phone and it's my app thats as fault.
Board View
developers.samsung , May 10, 2013 10:41 Post #47 0
Dear Developers,

Sorry for your incovenience.

We are aware of this issue and we will release a software update to address this issue soon.
But we hope you understand that the release date could be different for each carrier/country.

Samsung Developers.
Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed May 10, 2013 13:28 Post #48 0
Thanks for the feedback. At least there's a forum where contact can be made between developers and yourselves.  

Dear Developers,

Sorry for your incovenience.

We are aware of this issue and we will release a software update to address this issue soon.
But we hope you understand that the release date could be different for each carrier/country.

Samsung Developers.

Board View
Newbie corcanoe , 380 Seed May 13, 2013 19:59 Post #49 0
Hi, this is Toni, "Sound Profile" developer.

Hi for everybody.

I am having same issues and of course, users are getting mad. Mainly those who bought a really expensive S4 device that doesn't allow them to use their already paid applications that worked with their old phones.

It is really sad such a slow solution from Samsung.
Board View
Newbie palak.desai , 0 Seed May 15, 2013 05:51 Post #50 0
what is even worse is that tier 1 &  2 samsung technical support doesn't even acknowledge this issue so customers blame us instead

I wish they would own up to this glitch when customers call un instead of placing the blame on the software maker 

This content has been quoted from mobiletrialware@’s thought. (Link to original post)

Hey Samsung,

I am the creator of Audio Control and am experiencing some strange issues on a few of your devices (Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2). I run an accessibility service which follows the Android guidelines perfectly but when it is enabled on these devices some crazy things happen.

Talkback speaks randomly when folders are created and sometimes in the web browser, even when it is not enabled.
On the Note 2 the Air View must be disabled when my application has nothing to do with this feature.

I've also emailed the developer of Light Flow who is experiencing many of the same issues. Both of us are receiving negative ratings and feedback in our applications because of these issues. Could I get a little help with these issues please?

Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed May 15, 2013 23:44 Post #51 0
 I totally agree with that. I'll be phoning up tomorrow and complaining about this. It's great that customer services know there an issue with my app that I need to fix and they confirm to customers that it's not an issue with the phone or any samsung software on the phone....

Here's the last 2 comments on the play store for my app:

"Refund Talk back bug is still there and i want a refund please."
"
Pretty good, needs updates I've noticed by giving the app the accessibility, I get unwanted voice feedback everytime I open a folder or edit the home pages."

Every day it continues is another day of lost revenue offering refunds, lower app ratings and up to another hour of my life wasted with this...

Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed May 21, 2013 22:16 Post #52 0
 The saga continues.

On the s3 the latest updates (for example as below)

Version: L710VPBMD4
Once any accessibility service app is on it shows a persistent hand in the notification bar stating that talkback is on even when it isn't. I guess that's another area where it's not really understood that talkback isn't the only accesibility service in android

I'm not knocking you guys that support the forums as it's a good thing to have, but here's  a serious question. Is there somebody that I can speak to about this issue directly? I'm offering my services to try and help get this resolved.
Board View
Newbie aleonard , 0 Seed May 24, 2013 19:29 Post #53 0
This really is a problem.  There are people who want to use the basic accessibility features without the phone screaming at them while they're in a meeting.  The ability to turn on and off individual accessibility features (like the sound) is critical.and it's not disapointing that a problem that has been known for over 6 months has yet to be addressed.
Board View
Newbie markjna , 0 Seed May 28, 2013 18:50 Post #54 0

This content has been quoted from mobiletrialware@’s thought. (Link to original post)

"Hey Samsung,

On the Note 2 the Air View must be disabled when my application has nothing to do with this feature."

Dear Samsung,
"Talkback" also speaks on most functions on the "DeskNotifier" found here on the phone listed below:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.elfsoft.desknotifier&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImRlLmVsZnNvZnQuZGVza25vdGlmaWVyIl0.

Phone : Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch
Model: SPH-D710
Android Version: 4.1.2
Build number: JZ054K.SPH-D710.GB27

Please fix this problem.
Thanks
Board View
Newbie johns , 0 Seed May 31, 2013 22:14 Post #55 0
 Hello Artur.

On Jan 14 you said:

> Thank you for another report. I'll forward it and let you know if I receive any update regarding these issues.

It's 4.5 months later, now.  Could we please have an update regarding the status of the fix for this problem?

Note:  It's also documented at:  http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=23105

I just spent a half hour on the phone with a tech and a manager from the Support group in Richardson TX.  First I was told that the problem is fixed in a pending update which is being held up by Verizion.  But then the tech admitted she had no idea if this problem was addressed by the update or not.

Her manager (Jason)  was totally unaware of this problem and told me that there was nothing he could do about it - even to check its status.  Then he shifted gears and blamed it on the individual applications.  Finally he terminated the call by hanging up on me.

I am not a happy camper.

A status report is in order.

Regards,

John

Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed May 31, 2013 23:00 Post #56 0
The new verizon update has the issue that I'd referenced back in feburary about the accessibility hand showing saying talkback is on when other accessibility services are on. Which is another example of not understanding there's more than one app that uses the accessibility service. I reported this back in feburary. There also seems to be a spelling mistake referencing "tab" instead of "tap".
Interestingly when the rom first booted I had an "accessibility hand" in the notification bar saying talkback was on
Board View
Newbie johns , 0 Seed Jun 01, 2013 06:11 Post #57 0

This content has been quoted from andrewpmoore@’s thought. (Link to original post)

The new verizon update has the issue that I'd referenced back in feburary about the accessibility hand showing saying talkback is on when other accessibility services are on. Which is another example of not understanding there's more than one app that uses the accessibility service. I reported this back in feburary. There also seems to be a spelling mistake referencing "tab" instead of "tap".

Interestingly when the rom first booted I had an "accessibility hand" in the notification bar saying talkback was on

Samsung's Support (Paula) started off telling me that the problem was DEFINITELY fixed in the new version - the one which they released recently but which Verizon was delaying sending out.  She wanted me to call Verizon about this.  When I told her that I've had version 4.2.2 since I received my new S4 on May 21, she then changed her story to not knowing if the fix was in that version or not.  I guess "definitely" means something different to her than it does to me.

Both of the Samsung Support people I spoke with lied like troopers.  Each time I refuted their claims they just started over with a different lie.  This goes way past simple incompetence.  These people knew that they were changing their stories yet did so without hesitation. 

As long as Support denies the problem, there will be no pressure on Engineering to fix it.  At least, that is, until Marketing finds out why they are loosing customers.

John
Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Jun 08, 2013 22:20 Post #58 0
 I've had a report from a German user that they've had an update for the s4 that fixes most of the issues, but the phone still talks at the end of scanning for wifi networks.
Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Jun 13, 2013 05:28 Post #59 0

I've had a report from a German user that they've had an update for the s4 that fixes most of the issues, but the phone still talks at the end of scanning for wifi networks.

Just to follow that up. I've now had other confirmations of the same also with rom: I9500XXUBMEA
Board View
Newbie elflip88 , 0 Seed Jun 18, 2013 06:46 Post #60 0
 They're are so many problems with the s4 when any app using accessibility is on.  First off the talkback issue.  Also when watching a video on the video player the status bar of tje video won't go away unless you rotate the screen.  In the gallery the previews of all your pics won't go away when you are looking at the picture.  I hate you samsung 
Board View
Newbie adamf663 , 0 Seed Jun 19, 2013 16:32 Post #61 0
 I used titanium backup to completely eliminate talkback.  The phone still screams "scan complete" at me.
Board View
Newbie pseudowords , 0 Seed Jun 30, 2013 16:26 Post #62 0
You need to freeze/disable "Google Text-to-Speech Engine" via titanium backup or Application Manager in Settings-->More menu .

This content has been quoted from adamf663@’s thought. (Link to original post)

I used titanium backup to completely eliminate talkback.  The phone still screams "scan complete" at me.

Board View
Newbie andrewpmoore , 10 Seed Jul 22, 2013 23:00 Post #63 0
 There still seems to be issues even after the s4 update regarding airview and emai.
These are the details from one user still reporting issues.

Board View
Newbie jptirona , 0 Seed Jul 26, 2013 00:55 Post #64 0

This content has been quoted from pseudowords@’s thought. (Link to original post)

You need to freeze/disable "Google Text-to-Speech Engine" via titanium backup or Application Manager in Settings-->More menu .

This content has been quoted from adamf663@’s thought. (Link to original post)

instead of freezing google tts, freeze samsung tts.. that worked for me.

Board View
Newbie contact , 0 Seed Aug 20, 2013 15:09 Post #65 0
- This issue has first been reported on Nov 05 2012
- The Samsung dev team has reported having fixed the issue on May 10 2013.  
- Today, Aug 20 2013, the issue is still affecting all recent Galaxy devices, causing crippling glitches for users.

Samsung, please communicate on this issue, your last communication on this topic is from May 10 2013.
Board View
Newbie robson.raymundo , 0 Seed Aug 23, 2013 19:09 Post #66 0
 I am the developer of the app Droid Notification Plus and I'm also getting a lot of criticism of this problem. How long will we wait for correction?
Board View
Newbie kingpin , 0 Seed Sep 24, 2013 18:57 Post #67 0
Hi, I confirm the same problems and issues on Samsung I9192 Galaxy S4 Mini Duos
Android 4.3.3
AP:I9192XXUAMF7
CP:I9192XXUAMF7
CSC: I9192OJVAMF3

Please solve it!
Board View
Newbie billtaft , 0 Seed Oct 23, 2013 22:27 Post #68 0
Yes!  I am a user of some of these apps and this problem is absurd.  It is beyond absurd that you, (Samsung) has not fixed it after all this time.  It is crazy that if we want to use some of these apps, we need to listen to a voice shouting, "loading started page loaded" every time we use the browser, etc.

Samsung -  PLEASE FIX THIS!  Or at least have the decency to respond here as to why you won't fix it.

Thanks.

Board View
Newbie billtaft , 0 Seed Oct 27, 2013 18:08 Post #69 0

As a follow up question -  This thread seems to be dead.  If anyone reading it knows if Samsung has provided any info elsewhere, could you post a link?  I have a brand new Note 3 and the bug is still the same so Samsung seems either unable to fix it or believes it is not an important enough bug for the effort required to fix.

Board View
Newbie lzs , 210 Seed Dec 19, 2013 04:45 Post #70 0
I just received notification of the EML1 firmware availability today, and after updating, it seems like the Talkback bug is finally resolved. This is for my SGS4. I *hope* I'm testing it correctly...
Board View
Newbie venkateshseetha , 210 Seed Dec 27, 2013 08:56 Post #71 0
Hi ,

I am a mobile website developer, recently we got so many issues related to Talkback feauture in Smasnung Galaxy S4.

The talkback is not speaking the every accessible element on the web page, is the issue related to specific OS or due to settings, please guide me.

Board View
Newbie morten.karlsen , 210 Seed Dec 28, 2013 11:06 Post #72 0
The issue is still not resolved for Android 4.1.2 on Samsung Galaxy S2.

It appeared after installing my Pebble App, which uses Accesibility to push notifications to the Pebble Watch, and only disappeared when I force killed Google TTS, as this could not be disabled in the Settings -> Accessibility menu.

This is not a viable solution. Does anyone have a better one?

Thanks
Board View
Newbie zloy88 , 210 Seed Mar 03, 2014 16:40 Post #73 0
I just bought a Galaxy Rugby Pro and it updated to 4.1.2 and now I have this accessibility issue. every time I use an app that needs accessibility, talkback turns on after reboot. Samsung is this going to be fixed on the Rugby Pro?
Board View
Newbie toshiboy , 230 Seed Apr 02, 2014 10:32 Post #74 1

This content has been quoted from zloy88’s thought.

I just bought a Galaxy Rugby Pro and it updated to 4.1.2 and now I have this accessibility issue. every time I use an app that needs accessibility, talkback turns on after reboot. Samsung is this going to be fixed on the Rugby Pro?

I know this thread has been going for a while, but Lastpass have just upgraded their android app to allow in-app entering of passwords - which works well, however on my Samsung Note 10.1 it enables talkback. The strange thing: It doesn't do it straight away. It takes about 24 hours and then suddenly whenever you change screens you get a voice announcement.

I've been through the Lastpass forums, and they've sent me here to report this bug.

My Note 10.1 is a GT-N8010, running Android 4.1.2, Kernel 3.0.31-805288

the Lastpass App version is 3.2.3

To reproduce the fault, install the app, it will prompt you to enable in-app password entry. This will take you to the accesibility options, where you need to enable Lastpass (listed just below Talkback). Once enabled you get a warning that Airwave and Talkback can't co-exist and Talkback would be disabled.

Then, in my case 24 hours later, suddenly a nice female voice will announce every screen change you make.

(My Note 2 and 3, and my S4 don't have this issue (yet))

Board View
Newbie purchase , 220 Seed Apr 04, 2014 01:22 Post #75 0
I have the SM p600 2014 galaxy note 10.1

Since installing the latest lastpass, I get this issue as well. 

This appears to be an issue relayed to the Internet app (samsung stock Internet app) incorrectly reading settings in the accessibility settings.   Lastpass puts a service in there and even though the talk back service is disabled, if the lastpass service is enabled, voice assistance for the Internet app gets enabled.

Very annoying.  I hope a developer re opens this case.  

I suggest contacting support and referencing this page and asking for the issue to be escalated to a manager or developer until this issue is acknowledged.

Don't just see this page and assume someone is working on this issue.....
Board View
Newbie benoit , 210 Seed Apr 30, 2014 21:51 Post #76 0
Same issue form me on Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.1.2 and lastpass version 3.2.11
very very annoying
Code

This content has been quoted from purchase’s thought.

I have the SM p600 2014 galaxy note 10.1

Since installing the latest lastpass, I get this issue as well. 

This appears to be an issue relayed to the Internet app (samsung stock Internet app) incorrectly reading settings in the accessibility settings.  
Lastpass puts a service in there and even though the talk back service is disabled, if the lastpass service is enabled, voice assistance for the Internet app gets enabled.

Very annoying.  I hope a developer re opens this case.  

I suggest contacting support and referencing this page and asking for the issue to be escalated to a manager or developer until this issue is acknowledged.

Don’t just see this page and assume someone is working on this issue.....

Board View
Newbie syardley , 210 Seed May 01, 2014 09:53 Post #77 0
Same problem, Galaxy S2 Android 4.1.2 with LastPass. Enabling app auto fill causes TalkBack to start. The only workaround is to disable TTS. Not a workaround for me as I need this service for other apps.

Board View
Newbie mrx600531 , 210 Seed May 12, 2014 10:11 Post #78 0
I have a Note 3 running 4.3 and I am also experiencing Talkback saying a page is loading in my browser.  I fixed this by disabling LastPass accesibility option so now I have to use the LastPass keyboard to fill in passwords.  I really wish Samsung would patch this already.  Disabling TTS wasn't an option for me since I like to use turn by turn GPS navigation.
Board View
Newbie victoria , 210 Seed May 15, 2014 15:14 Post #79 0

This content has been quoted from toshiboy’s thought.

This content has been quoted from zloy88’s thought.

I know this thread has been going for a while, but Lastpass have just upgraded their android app to allow in-app entering of passwords - which works well, however on my Samsung Note 10.1 it enables talkback. The strange thing: It doesn’t do it straight away. It takes about 24 hours and then suddenly whenever you change screens you get a voice announcement.

I’ve been through the Lastpass forums, and they’ve sent me here to report this bug.

My Note 10.1 is a GT-N8010, running Android 4.1.2, Kernel 3.0.31-805288

the Lastpass App version is 3.2.3

To reproduce the fault, install the app, it will prompt you to enable in-app password entry. This will take you to the accesibility options, where you need to enable Lastpass (listed just below Talkback). Once enabled you get a warning that Airwave and Talkback can’t co-exist and Talkback would be disabled.

Then, in my case 24 hours later, suddenly a nice female voice will announce every screen change you make.

(My Note 2 and 3, and my S4 don’t have this issue (yet))

I also have the same problem w/ my note 10.1 and Lastpass. Image or build etc attached. I have a similar problem with Lastpass on my S4. It causes a negative screen accessability issue.  Model  sgh-1337, Android 4.4.2  kernel 3.4.0-1125940,   build kot49h.1337ucufnc1
I
File Attachments
Board View
Newbie aj.cox131991 , 210 Seed May 27, 2014 06:46 Post #80 0
5/27/14
I'm posting from a Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro to report the TTS issue as well as an utter lack of OTAs in general. A popular sister to the S3 shouldn't be stuck on 4.1 with all these bugs.

Board View
Newbie carmageddon , 210 Seed Jun 09, 2014 06:47 Post #81 0

Well, seeing how samsung address bugs, we should NEVER again, buy Samsung devices, no matter how good they may be, if they cant bother to release bug fixes...
Google Nexus line only for me, this is just the final nail in Samsung's mobile division coffin 
Board View
Newbie dave.keighan , 210 Seed Aug 04, 2014 17:34 Post #82 0
Same problem, Galaxy S2 Android 4.1.2 with LastPass. Enabling app auto fill causes TalkBack to start.  It would be nice to know if you plan on fixing this or not so I can plan on who's phone to purchase the next time my contract rolls aroiund.  Over a year and you can't fix this.

--
Not A Happy Customer.

This content has been quoted from a.stepniewsk’s thought.

Dear all,

Thank you for your time and effort.

I submitted a ticket for these issues and will post an update as soon as I get a response.

Regards,
Artur
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie astar , 210 Seed Nov 06, 2014 14:45 Post #83 0

Hey,

Here comes the funniest thing

Samsung's own calculator do TalkBack when it's disabled in settings on Note4

SM-N910U
N910UXXU1ANJ5

A lot of users have this issue: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/450606-note-4-stock-calculator-talk-back.html

Board View
Newbie stanase , 210 Seed Nov 23, 2014 09:43 Post #84 0
Same here, great build but buggy software. I can't stand the TTS bug so next device will be a Nexus

This content has been quoted from carmageddon’s thought.

Well, seeing how samsung address bugs, we should NEVER again, buy Samsung devices, no matter how good they may be, if they cant bother to release bug fixes...
Google Nexus line only for me, this is just the final nail in Samsung’s mobile division coffin