Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

[SOLVED] GEAR WATCH DESIGNER 1.5.1 does NOT launch after clean installation

Forums View
Started by Developer thozi1976 , 1040 Seed Dec 20, 2017 10:08 Replies : 11 View : 416 Likes : 9
Installation completes without any failure notices

GWD 1.5.1 does not launch, no matter how I try to start it

here's a list of things i already tried:

• i uninstalled all previous and current Java runtime environments, using the "MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab"
  • i uninstalled all previous Gear Watch Designer installations and manually removed any left over "configuration" folders in the program files folder
  • i did a reboot
  • i installed the GWD 1.5.1, it installed without any failure notices
  • when i try to launch it, it (expectedly) prompted for JAVA to be installed ("32 bit")
  • i followed the provided link to the java download pages and downloaded the 32bit offline installer of Java 1.8.0_152 (i had both 64 and 32 bit versions of JAVA running before, it also didnt launch)
  • i installed from the java 32 bit offline installation file
  • i checked the systemvariables if JAVA_HOME is set = java home is set to "JAVA_HOME=g:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_152" (G:\ is my Windows Installation)
  • i try to launch Gear Watch Designer 1.5.1 and nothing happens... nothing
  • i can't find anything "new" in the task manager if i try to launch the application
  • i still have a notebook on which GWD 1.5.1 runs just fine, but i strongly prefer to work on my desktop workstation
here are the specs of my workstation, if they help:

• Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
  • Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.90 GHz
  • 32 GB Ram DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)
  • 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (Gigabyte)

besides of a complete new installation of windows itself (hardly an option), i now ran out of ideas how to fix this... there aren't even any logfiles to pinpoint the problem...

any ideas, or are there logfiles, and if so, where?

many thanks in advance... with my first watchface readyly designed in an earlier version of GWD, i'm now eager to release it to the market.
thozi1976 choose r.liechty ’s reply as the Best Answer. r.liechty earned +250 SEED. Dec 24, 2017 21:35
Tags

gwd , problem , installation

Board View
Samsung Developer drazen , 34480 Seed Dec 20, 2017 13:47 Post #1 1
I seem to remember reading somewhere on the forum that latest version of Java could cause problems. Perhaps try finding older Java online? Can't help much, but your problem is a great example why I've now switched to deliberately lagging with my updates to latest version of GWD. I stick to older version GWD. I'm now using 1.5.0 and will not be updating to 1.5.1 until 1.5.2 comes out. It's just too risky and too much hassle. 
Board View
Developer thozi1976 , 1040 Seed Dec 20, 2017 15:12 Post #2 1
Thank you for looking into this issue.

I now tried earlier Versions
both also show no function

so I went on to get an earlier JRE Version, now it prompted me with an error message and a link to a generated LogFile, which reads as follows:

Code

!SESSION 2017-12-20 16:01:05.789 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.7.0_80
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=de_DE
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -data @noDefault

!ENTRY com.samsung.gwd 4 0 2017-12-20 16:01:06.406
!MESSAGE FrameworkEvent ERROR
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: com.samsung.gwd [3]
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Capability: osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.8))"

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:434)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1582)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.incStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1561)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.doContainerStartLevel(ModuleContainer.java:1533)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1476)
at org.eclipse.osgi.container.ModuleContainer$ContainerStartLevel.dispatchEvent(ModuleContainer.java:1)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:230)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:340)

!ENTRY com.samsung.gwd 2 0 2017-12-20 16:01:06.635
!MESSAGE Could not resolve module: com.samsung.gwd [3]
  Unresolved requirement: Require-Capability: osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.8))"

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2017-12-20 16:01:06.636
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.RuntimeException: Application "com.samsung.gwd.application" could not be found in the registry. The applications available are: org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.E4Application, org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.GenTopic, org.eclipse.equinox.app.error.
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppContainer.startDefaultApp(EclipseAppContainer.java:248)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.MainApplicationLauncher.run(MainApplicationLauncher.java:29)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:380)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:235)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:669)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:608)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1515)

are we making progress? ^_^

UPDATE: nope... i tried now several older JAVA installations, nothing... :/
Board View
r.liechty , Dec 20, 2017 15:59 Post #3 1
Currently Samsung Gear Watch Designer or Tizen Studio like other developer software will not build with JDK 9, it needs the older Java version. 

First uninstall Java, Java SDK etc.

The solution is simple download the NetBeans and JDK combination from Oracle 
www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/javase/jdk-netbeans-jsp-142931.html
Ater uninstalling the latest JDK I installed the old version and all worked fine. You can then update to the newer JDK if you wish after the GWD is built

I don't think you need to set JAVA_HOME if you use the Oracle installer but if you do get that error, there is infomration on how to do this on the internet.

If you have any other problems let us know.  

Ron

Board View
Developer thozi1976 , 1040 Seed Dec 21, 2017 09:02 Post #4 1
thank you for looking into this

I tried many earlier Java Verisions... 64 bit and 32 bit, down to java 7, nothing worked...

I did not have the Netbeans IDE Version before, so I tried this one now as well... same result....

as much as I despise it, I'm now gearing towards a fresh Windows install.... which of course, is a nightmare...

but GWD does NOT build, no matter which JAVA Version or which GWD Version I try...

%JAVA_HOME% is set, so that is not the problem either....

*desperate*
Board View
r.liechty , Dec 21, 2017 16:20 Post #5 1

This content has been quoted from thozi1976’s thought.

thank you for looking into this

I tried many earlier Java Verisions... 64 bit and 32 bit, down to java 7, nothing worked...

I did not have the Netbeans IDE Version before, so I tried this one now as well... same result....

as much as I despise it, I’m now gearing towards a fresh Windows install.... which of course, is a nightmare...

but GWD does NOT build, no matter which JAVA Version or which GWD Version I try...

%JAVA_HOME% is set, so that is not the problem either....

*desperate*

in Command Prompt type java -version it should show something like this.  
C:\Users\ronli>java -version
java version "1.8.0_151"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)

my path for Java is set by the NetBeans so having the JAVA_HOME set may be messing you up.  You don't need it with the NetBeans since Oracle sets the path
Environmental Variables 
System Variables
C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath

If you have Java 1.8.x in the path I can only think it has to do with the location of GWD  is it in G:\Program Files(x86)\

Board View
r.liechty , Dec 21, 2017 16:39 Post #6 1
On my other computer I have JAVA_HOME set an it is set like this

Environmental Variables
System Variables
 JAVA_HOME is C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_152
Path has
%JAVA_HOME%\bin; C:\Windows.....

it won't find the JRE without the \bin addition.

Ron
Board View
Developer thozi1976 , 1040 Seed Dec 21, 2017 17:42 Post #7 1
my current Java Version:

G:\Users\IVY840>java -version

java version "1.8.0_151"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)
my JAVA_HOME Variable is set to:

G:\Users\IVY840>set JAVA_HOME

JAVA_HOME=g:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_151
the Path Variable:

%JAVA_HOME%\bin;%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;

still nothing... on a sidenote: why can't SAMSUNG release a precompiled windows app?
launching the GWD shouldn't be the roadblock :( that's very frustrating

additional things i've tried in the meantime:
copied the GearWatchDesigner Folder from my working Notebook installation > overwriting the contents of my desktop GearWatchDesigner Folder
checked the JAVA Version on my Notebook, it's identical to the Version on the Desktop PC, the filesizes of the Java Folder also do match down to the single byte

the JAVA_HOME on the Notebook is set to:

%JAVA_HOME% (Notebook)

c:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\
this folder also exists on my Desktop and it contains the same 3 files (java.exe, javaw.exe and javaws.exe)
therefore I also set the Desktop JAVA_HOME Pathvariable to: g:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\ accordingly, but the result stayed the same, negative

Board View
r.liechty , Dec 22, 2017 16:23 Post #8 1
I will have to check with the design team to see if there is problem because you are using G: Drive.  

Just because you've tried everything that has worked for others, try putting a shortcut to java directly into the Gear Watch Designer Folder?  

Hopefully they will have a solution for me Tuesday.

Ron

Board View
Developer thozi1976 , 1040 Seed Dec 24, 2017 21:42 Post #9 1
I would mark this post as SOLVED
Solution / Workarround

try putting a shortcut to java directly into the Gear Watch Folder

that did the trick... i created a direct shortcut to the java folder (into the gear watch designer folder) then the GWD launched (after a slightly longer than usual waiting time)

Thank you very much, that was my christmas present for today and spared me from the hassle of a clean installation.

Maybe you still look into this issue, if it's related to my windows installation NOT being on a default c:\ Drive - i would assume that a significant number of users also have a windows installation on an altering drive letter.

however - I consider this solved for me... creating a direct shortcut is a working solution and a quick one (once you know that this is the thing that needs to be done here)

thanks a ton :)

Board View
r.liechty , Dec 26, 2017 17:44 Post #10 0

This content has been quoted from thozi1976’s thought.

I would mark this post as SOLVED

Solution / Workarround

try putting a shortcut to java directly into the Gear Watch Folder

that did the trick... i created a direct shortcut to the java folder (into the gear watch designer folder) then the GWD launched (after a slightly longer than usual waiting time)

Thank you very much, that was my christmas present for today and spared me from the hassle of a clean installation.

Maybe you still look into this issue, if it’s related to my windows installation NOT being on a default c:\ Drive - i would assume that a significant number of users also have a windows installation on an altering drive letter.

however - I consider this solved for me... creating a direct shortcut is a working solution and a quick one (once you know that this is the thing that needs to be done here)

thanks a ton :)

I communicated to the developer team about this.  They belive it is an Eclipse issue not GWD but they are going to try to resolve it and possibly create their own launcher.  For anyone else that has this problem the solution for now is.

by modifying the GearWatchDesigner.ini file after 
@noDefault
add
-vm
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_151\bin\javaw.exe

Ron

Board View
Developer thozi1976 , 1040 Seed Dec 27, 2017 10:09 Post #11 0

Quote:

I communicated to the developer team about this.  They belive it is an Eclipse issue not GWD but they are going to try to resolve it and possibly create their own launcher.  For anyone else that has this problem the solution for now is.

by modifying the GearWatchDesigner.ini file after 
@noDefault
add
-vm
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_151\bin\javaw.exe

Ron

to be precise
the line to be added needs to point to each owns javaw.exe (32bit Version, as of now)
so c:\Program Files (x86)\... would be incorrect for everybody who doesn't have his java installation on drive C:
so alter the C:\ part to the appropriate drive letter for your system (in my example it's G:\)