Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email :

My Always On display feature on Gear S3 never worked properly, and still doesn't

Forums View
Started by Developer zah700 , 1410 Seed Jan 12, 2018 21:13 Replies : 2 View : 209 Likes : 0

Since I had a watch Face rejected due to the AOD feature not coming on, I have started to take more notice of the AOD function. In fact, I have never been able to get the AOD to come on when the watch face times out. Instead, it will go to a black screen, which shows that it is on, otherwise it would show the default display. I have checked and everything is turned on, so it should come on.

The only way I can get the AOD to come on, is to hold the watch in one hand making sure to be touching the back of the watch with two fingers. Even then, it will not come on at once. Only after repeatedly bringing up the main display and then turning the watch sideways quickly a few times, will it eventually show the always-on display.

I have the latest update on my Gear S3 Frontier watch, but the same thing happens even now in January 2018.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Board View
Samsung Developer drazen , 39470 Seed Jan 13, 2018 01:28 Post #1 0
I had the exact same issue for AGES! But mine was definitively solved with the last firmware update - now the AOD works as it should, turns on automatically as soon as the display times out or I drop my hand. By the way, AOD will NOT activate unless the watch is on your hand. Don't know why, but it won't.
Board View
Developer zah700 , 1410 Seed Jan 13, 2018 19:22 Post #2 0
Thanks. You are right. I don't always wear my watch, especially when at home as I prefer to keep it on my table near me. I tried wearing it and the AOD does appear to work normally. It's a shame that it does not work when you don't wear the watch. It must have been done to save battery life.

This content has been quoted from drazen’s thought.

I had the exact same issue for AGES! But mine was definitively solved with the last firmware update - now the AOD works as it should, turns on automatically as soon as the display times out or I drop my hand. By the way, AOD will NOT activate unless the watch is on your hand. Don’t know why, but it won’t.