Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

Am I violating copyright?

Forums View
Started by Newbie rickyestrella.95 , 1080 Seed Dec 07, 2017 02:34 Replies : 5 View : 749 Likes : 0
I LOVE "oldschool" games such as The Legend Of Zelda, Super Metroid and that kind of games so I decided to create a lot of themes with them. Do I need any permisson to upload them? Am I violating copyright? Is it legal if I sell my own themes using nintendo, microsoft and other companies stuff?
File Attachments
Board View
Samsung Developer s.arefin , 30910 Seed Dec 07, 2017 04:33 Post #1 0
Hi, 
Please check the Copyright and trade mark policies at Galaxy app store. You have to maintain those I think before publish/ upload otherwise it creates difficulties. 
Thanks. 
Board View
Expert Developer petruuccios , 29620 Seed Dec 07, 2017 05:19 Post #2 0
It also depends, how do you present those, whether you want to use their name and so on.
For example the last one with the controller buttons I would say is well inspired, but not a copy.
Board View
Newbie rickyestrella.95 , 1080 Seed Dec 07, 2017 05:37 Post #3 0

This content has been quoted from s.arefin’s thought.

Hi, 
Please check the Copyright and trade mark policies at Galaxy app store. You have to maintain those I think before publish/ upload otherwise it creates difficulties. 
Thanks. 

Thank you, I will :)

Board View
Samsung Developer drazen , 34740 Seed Dec 07, 2017 11:40 Post #4 0

This content has been quoted from rickyestrella.95’s thought.

I LOVE "oldschool" games such as The Legend Of Zelda, Super Metroid and that kind of games so I decided to create a lot of themes with them. Do I need any permisson to upload them? Am I violating copyright? Is it legal if I sell my own themes using nintendo, microsoft and other companies stuff?

Out of the attached screenshots, I'd say the last one should be safe to use, since it only "evokes" the look of the controller. The middle one (with the character) is most likely not going to pass inspection and the first one - maybe.

It really depends on how you describe them and what reviewer you get. Sometimes they let them slip through even though the watchface is breaking copyright. If you want to increase your chances, do not use any copyrighted names (Zelda, Nintendo, Atari - none of that!), instead try using substitute names or vague terms such as "console games". 

Also, some creative avoidance goes a long way... I made a watchface for FC Barcelona and FC Real. I could not use the term "FC" because then there's no ambiguity about copyright, but I could use a word "Barcelona" because it happens to be the name of a city and also "Real" because that has a real meaning in English. 

Board View
Developer alistrikesss , 1590 Seed Dec 09, 2017 14:39 Post #5 0
Hello there. 
Creating them and using them for your own sake is totally alright but when you claim something your own and sale for profit/money then then can take action against you. 

In that case, You have to take special permission by Samsung Officials for that for which i am sure they will not permit you to do that. 
You can contact to the samsung officials and they might take interest in your idea.