Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

Cannot install applications on Gear device with Tizen 3.0

Forums View
Started by Developer maciejgawronski , 4020 Seed Nov 21, 2017 22:18 Replies : 16 View : 1688 Likes : 0
Hello

I have just upgraded Tizen Studio to 2.0. I have all the necessary components installed, my Gear watch with Tizen 3.0 appears in the device manager (although there are no logs shown in the logs tab). The device is connected via WiFi. I can execute shell commands etc.

I cannot install any developed application. When I try, this error happens:

[Installing the package...]
path is /home/owner/share/tmp/sdk_tools/tmp/testApp.wgt
start process (install)
error : -12

end process (fail)
processing result : Check certificate error [-12] failed
spend time for pkgcmd is [3469]ms
cmd_ret:244
    An exception occurred
(Installing the package... > Fail)
An exception occurred
Unexpected stop progress...
(15.295 sec)

I assume this happens because I have not done the "Permit to install applications" action on this device (because I am able to install this application on my other, older devices). So I go to the Device Manager, right-click on the device and I choose "Permit to install applications". Another error happens:

So I go to the Certificate Manager. I import the old XML file with devices (or I don't, it doesn't matter, as the new device is not there). In the older versions, it was possible to generate a profile with new devices, by adding the DUID of each device. Now it is not possible. I can't see this option anywhere. I can only add or change author and distributor certificates.

Therefore, I cannot install any application on my device.

So the question is: how can I add this new device to the certificate profile? It was very easy with the previous version of Tizen Studio / Certificate Manager.

Please help. This is stopping me from testing my applications on Tizen 3.0 (some of them have failed certification in the Samsung Apps store).
Board View
Developer maciejgawronski , 4020 Seed Nov 21, 2017 22:31 Post #1 0
I have now noticed this:

"The DUID of recent mobile and wearable devices start with a 2.0# but old devices are 1.0#. If a distributor certificate contains a 1.0# DUID, all devices with that certificate need one more step, see the Permit device to install apps guide."

My device DUID starts with 2.0#, so it should not need permitting apps installation.

Therefore, why do I get this error during app installation?

Check certificate error [-12] failed 

Board View
Samsung Developer iqbal.sublime , 34580 Seed Nov 22, 2017 10:51 Post #2 0
As far i understood from your post, You have existing Certificate with a device. But now you want to add a new device to existing certificate. 
Right? 
If that, Go to Certificate Manager > Click on Your Certificate > Click on '+ (Plus)' icon under Distributor certificate.. 
Board View
r.liechty , Nov 22, 2017 15:28 Post #3 0

I saw a note in the Tizen community that suggested using a Tizen Certificate instead of the Samsung one was easier for development.

Hope that helps,
Ron

Board View
Developer maciejgawronski , 4020 Seed Nov 22, 2017 22:01 Post #4 0

This content has been quoted from iqbal.sublime’s thought.

As far i understood from your post, You have existing Certificate with a device. But now you want to add a new device to existing certificate. 
Right? 
If that, Go to Certificate Manager > Click on Your Certificate > Click on ’+ (Plus)’ icon under Distributor certificate.. 

This is what I get when I go to the Certificate Manager and click on the "+" next to the existing Distributor certificate:

I can only add another existing distributor certificate.

Now I have a new device, Gear S3 with Tizen 3.0 (just received update). I did not use it before for development.

How can I add it to to the certificate? How can I install anything on the device?

Board View
Developer maciejgawronski , 4020 Seed Nov 22, 2017 22:14 Post #5 0

This content has been quoted from r.liechty’s thought.

I saw a note in the Tizen community that suggested using a Tizen Certificate instead of the Samsung one was easier for development.

Hope that helps,
Ron

Hello. Thanks for suggestion, but when I generate a new certificate profile, with my original author certificate and a new default Tizen distributor certificate, like this:

There is no way to add devices, either. And the installation fails with the same error:

spend time for pkgcmd is [2654]ms

As far as I remember (and understand), in the older version of Tizen Studio, when generating a distributor certificate there was a step where it was possible to add DUIDs. Just like written in this manual, step 8:

http://developer.samsung.com/gear/develop/getting-certificates/create

So where is this functionality?

My older devices work, because they were added to the distributor certificate earlier. But how about new devices?

Board View
Samsung Developer iqbal.sublime , 34580 Seed Nov 23, 2017 03:53 Post #6 0

This content has been quoted from maciejgawronski’s thought.

This content has been quoted from r.liechty’s thought.

Hope that helps,
Ron

Hello. Thanks for suggestion, but when I generate a new certificate profile, with my original author certificate and a new default Tizen distributor certificate, like this:

There is no way to add devices, either. And the installation fails with the same error:

spend time for pkgcmd is [2654]ms

As far as I remember (and understand), in the older version of Tizen Studio, when generating a distributor certificate there was a step where it was possible to add DUIDs. Just like written in this manual, step 8:

http://developer.samsung.com/gear/develop/getting-certificates/create

So where is this functionality?

My older devices work, because they were added to the distributor certificate earlier. But how about new devices?

Which type of Certificate profile are you creating ? Tizen or Samsung? You should create Samsung 
Board View
Developer maciejgawronski , 4020 Seed Nov 23, 2017 12:22 Post #7 0

Which type of Certificate profile are you creating ? Tizen or Samsung? You should create Samsung 

Hello. It doesn't make any difference which type I choose, Tizen or Samsung. The outcome is the same when I try to install, -12 error.

When I choose Samsung, it says "Select an existing distributor certificate":

As I said, earlier it was possible to add new devices to the distributor certificate (add DUIDs). I also remember having to log in to my Samsung account.

Now the only thing I can do is import an old, existing distributor certificate, which obviously doesn't contain my new device. So I cannot install anything.

How do I create a new distributor certificate and add new devices? Is there something wrong with my Certificate Manager?

Board View
Developer maciejgawronski , 4020 Seed Nov 23, 2017 15:50 Post #8 0
I installed Tizen Studio at another computer, downloaded the Certificate Manager and the same thing happens.

It doesn't ask me to sign into Samsung account at any point. Also, it is not possible to add any devices to the certificate. Only import existing distributor certificate.

Am I the only one with this problem?

The version of the Certificate Manager is 2.5.26.

Is it possible to generate a new distributor certificate with new devices using command line? I am getting desperate...
Board View
Samsung Developer iqbal.sublime , 34580 Seed Nov 24, 2017 05:42 Post #9 0

I installed Tizen Studio at another computer, downloaded the Certificate Manager and the same thing happens.

It doesn’t ask me to sign into Samsung account at any point. Also, it is not possible to add any devices to the certificate. Only import existing distributor certificate.

Am I the only one with this problem?

The version of the Certificate Manager is 2.5.26.

Is it possible to generate a new distributor certificate with new devices using command line? I am getting desperate...

I am assuming a workaround for this problem, 
Create a new Author+Distributor certificate for your new device. Then use this Distributor certificate for your existing Certificate Profile.
Board View
Developer maciejgawronski , 4020 Seed Nov 24, 2017 08:42 Post #10 0

Create a new Author+Distributor certificate for your new device. Then use this Distributor certificate for your existing Certificate Profile.

This also doesn't help, I have already tried. After I create a new author certificate, the next step is distributor certificate and it is just the same:

I cannot generate a new Samsung distributor certificate, only import. I cannot add any devices.

What is going on here? Do you have different options in your Certificate Manager? What is your version?

Also, do you mean that the distributor certificate doesn't have any connection with the author certificate? If so, could you for example generate a distributor certificate for me if I gave you device IDs (DUIDs)?

Or maybe you could upload your Certificate Manager somewhere? It is located in C:\tizen-studio\tools\certificate-manager by default.

Board View
Samsung Developer iqbal.sublime , 34580 Seed Nov 24, 2017 10:42 Post #11 0

This also doesn’t help, I have already tried. After I create a new author certificate, the next step is distributor certificate and it is just the same:

I cannot generate a new Samsung distributor certificate, only import. I cannot add any devices.

What is going on here? Do you have different options in your Certificate Manager? What is your version?

Also, do you mean that the distributor certificate doesn’t have any connection with the author certificate? If so, could you for example generate a distributor certificate for me if I gave you device IDs (DUIDs)?

Or maybe you could upload your Certificate Manager somewhere? It is located in C:\tizen-studio\tools\certificate-manager by default.

Firstly, Create new Signing profile for your new Device. 
Board View
Developer maciejgawronski , 4020 Seed Nov 27, 2017 10:44 Post #12 0

As I said, I have already tried that, I have tried every possible option in the Certificate Manager. Creating a totally new profile, adding new author certificate doesn't help. It doesn't let me sign into my Samsung account, it doesn't let me add devices.

I was able to generate a correct distributor certificate with new devices using a Linux machine with old Tizen studio and old certificate manager (which was a plugin, not a separate app). Now I am able to install applications on my new devices.

My conclusion is that the current Certificate Manager is bugged.

Board View
Samsung Developer iqbal.sublime , 34580 Seed Nov 29, 2017 05:25 Post #13 0

As I said, I have already tried that, I have tried every possible option in the Certificate Manager. Creating a totally new profile, adding new author certificate doesn’t help. It doesn’t let me sign into my Samsung account, it doesn’t let me add devices.

I was able to generate a correct distributor certificate with new devices using a Linux machine with old Tizen studio and old certificate manager (which was a plugin, not a separate app). Now I am able to install applications on my new devices.

My conclusion is that the current Certificate Manager is bugged.

Then report it as bug in JIRA bugs.tizen.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa
Board View
Newbie dave , 730 Seed Dec 03, 2017 16:21 Post #14 0
Someone else is having the same problem:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47614917/signature-error-in-gear-s3-after-os-upgrade-from-tizen-2-3-2-3-to-tizen-3-0-0-1

Board View
Newbie brownfox , 210 Seed Jan 06, 2018 21:55 Post #15 0
In my case the problem was solved by creation of SAMSUNG certs. This possibility appears in Certificate Manager after installing package "Extension SDK->IOT-Headless->Samsung Certificate Extension" in Package Manager. My Tizen studio version is 2.1.

When the extension is installed, just follow the instruction: http://developer.samsung.com/z/develop/getting-certificates/create
This allows you not only to generate new DUIDs, but to add the existing ones.

Hope, it will help. As for Tizen certs, it looks, Gear S3 with Tizen 3.0 doesn't recognize it as valid at all.

Board View
Newbie dave , 730 Seed Mar 20, 2018 01:08 Post #16 0
I am having the exact same problem as brownfox, but I cannot seem to fix it in the same way. There is no opportunity to install the IOT Certificate Extension in my Package Manager. 

I have been developing with some Gear S3 watches since Tizen Studio 1.x and I have not needed to create any new certificates in a few months. But just today I got a Gear Sport and am trying to install my app on it. I can't create a new certificate for that device's DUID because Certificate Manager does not give me the opportunity. I cannot choose Tizen or Samsung certificate, it does not ask me to log into the samsung developer  webiste as before and it does not give me a chance to import DUIDs (nor does it see the Sport which is already connected via Device Manager).

Unless someone has a good idea, maybe I need to go back to Tizen 1.x and create the new certificate and then re-upgrade to Tizen 2.2. I really don't want to do this. Does anyone have an idea how I can get my Certificate Manager to work properly?

Thanks very much. 

This content has been quoted from brownfox’s thought.

In my case the problem was solved by creation of SAMSUNG certs. This possibility appears in Certificate Manager after installing package "Extension SDK->IOT-Headless->Samsung Certificate Extension" in Package Manager. My Tizen studio version is 2.1.

When the extension is installed, just follow the instruction: http://developer.samsung.com/z/develop/getting-certificates/create
This allows you not only to generate new DUIDs, but to add the existing ones.

Hope, it will help. As for Tizen certs, it looks, Gear S3 with Tizen 3.0 doesn’t recognize it as valid at all.