Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

Numbers Offset in GWD 1.5.1

Forums View
Started by Newbie the.doch , 640 Seed Dec 27, 2017 02:32 Replies : 9 View : 662 Likes : 0
anyone got offset issue in GWD 1.5.1 ?

it's look like when I try to make a digital watch, the numbers always offset down like 2-4 pixels down on the S3 , 
it's a problem to figure up how the watch will look like , when you need to offset the numbers up in GWD. 

also tried to revert back to GWD 1.3.2 ( the stable on that works for me ) but it seems, it cant connect to the Gear S3 at all , is it beacuse I'm on tizen 3.0.01 ?
when I'm on GWD 1.5.1 it connect to my S3 with no problem.

anyone got a solution ? Developers? someone?
Board View
Samsung Developer petruuccios , 36630 Seed Dec 27, 2017 05:50 Post #1 0
I have same problems with text on all GWD versions. 
Actual position varies from like 2-3 pixels below, trough exact position, to 1-2 pixels above its position on the PC screen.
I think its caused by different baseline definition in different fonts.
My solution is method of trial and error.

10 Position text in the design
20 Let the design run on the watch
30 Check the picture
40 If its not correct, go to 10, else finish
Board View
Samsung Developer s.arefin , 36250 Seed Dec 27, 2017 11:37 Post #2 0
Hi, 
I think it differs may be due to font type. but there is some fractional diff in design and in real device. 

Board View
Newbie the.doch , 640 Seed Dec 27, 2017 13:47 Post #3 0
Thanks for the suggestions 

but its not font related , it happen with all the fonts , the offset change from 2 - 6 pixel down depends on the font. 
it software related .

(there are problem also with the font , but lets not get into that for now)

Hope to get some answers from the developers , solutions? ... anyone?

To Everyone it works o.k?

Thanks "petruuccios" , I'm already doing it , but it not a good workaround to the problem .
it's a bug that should be fixed

File Attachments
Board View
Samsung Developer petruuccios , 36630 Seed Dec 27, 2017 14:58 Post #4 0
Maybe we will get it solved in some of comming years, before there come different watches with different programs for watchfaces.
developer.samsung.com/forum/board/thread/view.do

Board View
Newbie the.doch , 640 Seed Dec 27, 2017 16:24 Post #5 0
Thanks petruuccios’s

it looks like something that easliy can be fixed , like puting all font text in the middle of the bounding box , beacuse now its a little offset from the bounding box ,
 and I think thats what causing the offset problem .

seeing the other old post on old GWD version , make me wonder if they will ever fix it . this is more important than adding new feature to GWD , its like basic thing.

I cant revert to old GWD 1.3.2 version, cus now on Tizen 3 it cant connect to the watch at all.
I also tried all version 

all got same offset problem.

Well.... hope they will fix it in newer versions and not break other working fine stuff...

Cheers

Board View
Samsung Developer drazen , 45520 Seed Dec 27, 2017 16:24 Post #6 0

This content has been quoted from the.doch’s thought.

anyone got offset issue in GWD 1.5.1 ?

anyone got a solution ? Developers? someone?

This issue has been present in all versions, from day one. GWD has never been 100% accurate in terms of what-you-see-is-what-you-get. After all, GWD displays designs in 512x512, while the actual resolution is 360x360.

As for the font problem, there is no solution. This happens with all fonts, even the original Samsung fonts have this issue. What you can do to somewhat minimize this is to shrink the bounding box to as close to the actual text as possible, while being careful not to cause any clipping. Making the box smaller seems to keep the font (mostly) in place. It will still have some offset, but at least it won't be as dramatic as with the default size.

Board View
Newbie the.doch , 640 Seed Dec 27, 2017 16:58 Post #7 0
Thanks drazen
I know all the workaround this , and I tried them all .
But ,it's still it annoying.

just think as you have after effect with mutiple composition and alignment and when you render out your video, everyting move/ down/ up/ sidway/ few pixels.
you understand what I say ,
In a software where alignment is most important , I expect it to work well , it a basic thing to ask.
I know its beta and all , but it been all over the GWD versions , 
I think they should adress this issue for now.

I correct myself , I ask them , if they can fix this problem.

Thanks
Board View
Samsung Developer drazen , 45520 Seed Dec 27, 2017 19:03 Post #8 0

This content has been quoted from the.doch’s thought.

Thanks drazen
I know all the workaround this , and I tried them all .
But ,it’s still it annoying.

just think as you have after effect with mutiple composition and alignment and when you render out your video, everyting move/ down/ up/ sidway/ few pixels.
you understand what I say ,
In a software where alignment is most important , I expect it to work well , it a basic thing to ask.
I know its beta and all , but it been all over the GWD versions , 
I think they should adress this issue for now.

I correct myself , I ask them , if they can fix this problem.

Thanks

You're absolutely right, it's really annoying! And I have complained about this exact issue in the past, right here on the forum, but it seems that this isn't high on their priority list. Which is even somewhat understandable - for most developers, that small offset is hardly a problem. Many don't even include text in their designs... 

But for me it is a problem, because I need very precise positionings because I use animations, so it's not like I can just slightly "shift" things around. Moving even one element means going back to After effects, rendering the bitmaps all over again, then going to Photoshop, resizing them, sharpening, optimizing the file size, renaming... It's like 10 steps involved. 

Board View
Newbie the.doch , 640 Seed Dec 27, 2017 20:36 Post #9 0
I'm with you drazen , every step of moving small element become tedious and long process .
if it work well , we could focus on the design and not on the "fixing things up"

GWD was designed for artist so they wont need to do "programming"
I hope the developers (who are programers) will listen to the artists this time.

Well.... I hope They see this post and listen and try to fix that issue.