Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

Unspecific malfunction issue after firmware update

Forums View
Started by Developer as , 2870 Seed Nov 25, 2017 21:30 Replies : 5 View : 435 Likes : 0
Hi guys, 
I have a pretty strange problem. One of the watch faces I built (it's a web app watch face, coded in Tizen Studio) doesn't work any more since the last firmware update. If the user then does a factory reset on the watch and reinstalls the watch face, it works perfectly again. The big question is: what can I do to find out what the problem is in this scenario? I'd love to provide an update to make it work again, even without a factory reset after the firmware update. 

But I have no idea what I'm looking for in my code, as I don't know part of the  firmware update might be causing this...and since I myself did the factory reset after the firmware update, I can't test if the problem was fixed because I don't have the problem any longer! Pretty stupid situation...

So would anyone have a suggestion how to approach this? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Board View
Developer as , 2870 Seed Nov 26, 2017 12:35 Post #1 0
I want to specify this issue a little bit more. The watch face uses data stored in a file on the watch to load a saved configuration and my idea is that the problem is somewhere related with this file/storage system. This is the code I use to acces the stored data: 

Code

function initializeLocalStorage(){

// localStorage.clear();

tizen.filesystem.resolve("documents",function(result){
   documentsDir = result;
   try{
      localStorageFile = documentsDir.createFile(filename);
   }catch(e){
      localStorageFile = documentsDir.resolve(filename);
   }

if (localStorageFile !== null){

// file has info
      if (localStorageFile.fileSize > 0){
         localStorageFile.openStream("r",function(fs){
            var fileContents = fs.read(localStorageFile.fileSize); //read contents
            fs.close();
            var storageArray = JSON.parse(fileContents);
            for (var key in storageArray){
               localStorage.setItem(key,storageArray[key]);
            }
      },null,"UTF-8");
   }
});
}

Can anyone comment on my thought? Could the firmware update have changed accessibility of local data, and a factory reset makes this access possible again? 

Board View
Samsung Developer shaswatimist , 41560 Seed Nov 27, 2017 11:43 Post #2 0
What's the problem occuring with your code? Is it related to file creation? Also please share your Gear device name, software version(both previous and current), Tizen version(both previous and current).
Board View
Developer as , 2870 Seed Nov 29, 2017 11:18 Post #3 0

Gear S3 Frontier, firmware update to Tizen 3.0.0.1, with factory reset after firmware update. Software version R760XXU2CQK3

The point is, I don't know. The watch face I am using this piece of code in stopped working after the firmware update. The face loaded and was frozen, which lets me think of an error immediately during initialization. And the first thing that happens is that the routine I posted is processed to catch some initial parameters for the load from the local storage. So I ASSUME it has to do with loading/handling/saving that custom file on the watch. Maybe the file gets corrupted by the firmware update or whatever. But as I said, I don't know. Also, I can't reproduce the issue as it doesn't occur again once the watch is factory-resetted. 

So I was hoping to find someone who understands file handling more in-depth than me and knows about anything regarding this could have been changed by the firmware update. I'm working blind on this issue which will take forever and may not even solve anything at all...I put much over 100 hours into the development of this face so it would be a shame to just discontinue it due to "unsolveable" issues. Also it sold thousands of times and I don't want to disappoint all those buyers. 

So I MUST get this fixed...any help is appreciated. 

Board View
Samsung Developer shaswatimist , 41560 Seed Dec 04, 2017 11:39 Post #4 0
I'll try to check this and get back to you once I finish reproducing same scenario.
Board View
Developer as , 2870 Seed Dec 05, 2017 15:15 Post #5 0

That would be great. By the way: I submitted an update for the watch face in question, Samsung tested it and approved it. So it must have been working when the test team tested it. But it STILL doesn't work for the people who did the Tizen 3 update. 

SAMSUNG, if you're reading this: I really need someone official to help me on this. You cleared the app, but the buyers still can't use it! I am getting tons of complaints. I must know where to search for the problem in the code!