General Board

• Recommend useful replies to give out SEEDs and raise your level as well.
  • You can select the most useful reply as the Best Answer for your thread.
  • Share topics you want to discuss on Facebook or Twitter and earn SEEDs!
  • Share your knowledge by posting in threads that interest you.
Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

Why would WebView hang with Galaxy S3 only?

Forums View
Started by Newbie johnabre , 0 Seed Oct 12, 2012 14:15 Posts : 5 View : 5398 Likes : 0
Hi!  I have a complex, interactive HTML5 in an Android WebView - and it works fine on basically all platforms except Galaxy S3. On Galaxy S3 (Android 4.0.4), once out of every 5 times or so, just after the load completes, /system/lib/libwebcore.so tries to access invalid memory and a Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV) at [various addresses] (code=1) is thrown.

The page is pure HTML/CSS/Javascript, so it should be incapable of causing a SIGSEGV and I'm flummuxed as to the cause.  The HTML5 doesn't do anything particularly out-of-the-box - there's a lot of -webkit-animation calls that reference a lot of -webkit-keyframes and there's a fairly complex div tree, but nothing particularly experimental. There's some level of Javascript, but the hangs appear to occur even with all Javascript turned off.

Would there be any reason why a Galaxy S3 would be...different? No Android 2.x devices have this problem, and even a Galaxy Nexus running 4.1.1 doesn't seem to have any particular issues.

I wrote up the details (w/ crashdump) in Stack Overflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12831964/signal-11-sigsegv-crash-in-galaxy-s3-android-webview
Help!
Board View
Newbie a.panasiuk , 140 Seed Oct 15, 2012 07:28 Post #1 0
 Hi,

Please give us the firmware information of your phone. Have you tried it on other S3's?
Sample code reproducing the issue would also be of great service.

Regards,
Adam Panasiuk
Samsung Developers
Originally posted by : johnabre@

Hi!  I have a complex, interactive HTML5 in an Android WebView - and it works fine on basically all platforms except Galaxy S3. On Galaxy S3 (Android 4.0.4), once out of every 5 times or so, just after the load completes, /system/lib/libwebcore.so tries to access invalid memory and a Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV) at [various addresses] (code=1) is thrown.

The page is pure HTML/CSS/Javascript, so it should be incapable of causing a SIGSEGV and I'm flummuxed as to the cause.  The HTML5 doesn't do anything particularly out-of-the-box - there's a lot of -webkit-animation calls that reference a lot of -webkit-keyframes and there's a fairly complex div tree, but nothing particularly experimental. There's some level of Javascript, but the hangs appear to occur even with all Javascript turned off.

Would there be any reason why a Galaxy S3 would be...different? No Android 2.x devices have this problem, and even a Galaxy Nexus running 4.1.1 doesn't seem to have any particular issues.

I wrote up the details (w/ crashdump) in Stack Overflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12831964/signal-11-sigsegv-crash-in-galaxy-s3-android-webview
Help!

Board View
Newbie johnabre , 0 Seed Oct 18, 2012 11:21 Post #2 0
Thanks very much for replying!

We've seen the prob on two S3s:

First S3:
Prob occured w/ 4.0.4, then rooted to 4.1.1 and still occurred, then added a VideoView into the game right before the hanging part and the hanging mysteriously vanished.  Current (rooted) state is Kernel 3.0.31-304919 se.infra@SEP-67 #1, Build JRO03C.19300XXDLIB)

Second S3:
Prob occured w/ 4.0.4, both before and after VideoView added.

I'm having trouble getting the issue into a reproducable sample, which is the red flag that I should be investigating more.  It doesn't happen if I just view the HTML5 in a browser, so there's some interplay with the app itself, and so far it seems to have always occurred no matter what combination of features I turn off =/  I just have to sit down with an empty app and a webview and keep adding things until the error starts occurring...

BTW, it does seem to occur with hardware acceleration both on and off, also with build target set to 11. 

Originally posted by : a.panasiuk@

Hi,

Please give us the firmware information of your phone. Have you tried it on other S3's?

Regards,
Adam Panasiuk
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie a.panasiuk , 140 Seed Oct 19, 2012 16:32 Post #3 0
Hi,

To tell you the truth, this is not a lot of information here...
This is the first time somebody has told us about this issue, so we don't have an answer ready.
Until we find a way to reproduce this, there is not much we can do.

Regards,
Adam Panasiuk
Samsung Developers

This content has been quoted from johnabre@’s thought. (Link to original post)

Thanks very much for replying!

We've seen the prob on two S3s:

First S3:
Prob occured w/ 4.0.4, then rooted to 4.1.1 and still occurred, then added a VideoView into the game right before the hanging part and the hanging mysteriously vanished.  Current (rooted) state is Kernel 3.0.31-304919 se.infra@SEP-67 #1, Build JRO03C.19300XXDLIB)

Second S3:
Prob occured w/ 4.0.4, both before and after VideoView added.

I'm having trouble getting the issue into a reproducable sample, which is the red flag that I should be investigating more.  It doesn't happen if I just view the HTML5 in a browser, so there's some interplay with the app itself, and so far it seems to have always occurred no matter what combination of features I turn off =/  I just have to sit down with an empty app and a webview and keep adding things until the error starts occurring...

BTW, it does seem to occur with hardware acceleration both on and off, also with build target set to 11. 

Originally posted by : a.panasiuk@

Hi,

Regards,
Adam Panasiuk
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie johnabre , 0 Seed Oct 22, 2012 00:55 Post #4 0
No problem; thanks for replying - I just wanted to see if the symptoms rang any bells.  I'll continue to investigate, and will post again if can figure out what's happening!

This content has been quoted from a.panasiuk@’s thought. (Link to original post)

Hi,

To tell you the truth, this is not a lot of information here...
This is the first time somebody has told us about this issue, so we don't have an answer ready.
Until we find a way to reproduce this, there is not much we can do.

Regards,
Adam Panasiuk
Samsung Developers

Board View
Newbie jasonm23 , 0 Seed Mar 26, 2013 02:50 Post #5 0
Having a similar issue, in particular when using the "next" (keyboard button) to go to an input checkbox, or a type="date" field.

Here's the segfault output.

https://gist.github.com/5242660