Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

GWD 1.4.0 released.

Forums View
Started by bluehorror , Jun 23, 2017 07:55 Replies : 34 View : 3510 Likes : 6
We've released an updated version of Gear Watch Designer. (Release version : v1.4.0 Beta)

Your feedback is highly valued and prioritized for fixes in the release : )

1. New features

- Show weather info on your watch face.

You can now apply the weather data! add the current weather to your watch face designs using up to date info provided by OpenWeatherMap.

Before you can add weather data to your watch face, you'll need an API key. 

Go to https://home.openweathermap.org/ and create an account to get a free API key. you can also buy a paid plans.

* Due to different Weather CPs, the weather from Openweathermap may differ from other weather apps.

When the Weather function is activated, it can not be applied together with the S-health function. this issue is going to be improved, and we will be able to support other API (Yahoo weather etc.) in the future.

- Preference settings

You can customize your Watch Designer basic settings.  

2. Improvements and fixes

- 'Jump hour/minute' property is added to hour/minute hand.
- 'Frequency' property is added to a sweep effect of second hand.

We've fixed 

- a watch face display failure when an ICU format string "h", "E", "e", or "ee" are used in Gear S.
- a watch face bitmap font display failure when 'others' or 'custom' category items are used in Gear S.
- Gear S .wgt install failure when project name includes '(' or ')'.
- gyro effect issue that happens when a timeline condition is added to a component.
- an icon resolution issue on a Mac dock bar.
- 15 frame animation sync issue.

For more information, visit the Gear Watch Designer website. 

http://developer.samsung.com/gear/design/watch-designer

Board View
Developer talmarsh , 3320 Seed Jun 23, 2017 09:32 Post #1 0
Wait what, I gotta pay to have weather working on my watch faces? What gives?

Remember to backup your work before migrating... 
Board View
Newbie martin.keblusek , 520 Seed Jun 23, 2017 13:20 Post #2 1
How do I use the weather? I activated the API but I still can't select it in the menu
Board View
Newbie martin.keblusek , 520 Seed Jun 23, 2017 13:21 Post #3 0

This content has been quoted from talmarsh’s thought.

You can get an API key for free. I'm not sure what are those paid plans

Board View
Newbie xxlukas84 , 490 Seed Jun 23, 2017 13:29 Post #4 0

it seems these new Weather API features are disabled for Fit 2 :(

Paid plans only increase numbers of API requests per minute...  

This content has been quoted from martin.keblusek’s thought.

You can get an API key for free. I’m not sure what are those paid plans

Board View
Developer jens.engemann , 1180 Seed Jun 23, 2017 14:41 Post #5 0
I installed the latest version, but when opening any of my *.gwd files, all I see is a blank screen. No preview, nothing. Is this a bug and is now all lost? Please adivse!
Board View
Developer talmarsh , 3320 Seed Jun 23, 2017 16:26 Post #6 0

This content has been quoted from martin.keblusek’s thought.

You can get an API key for free. I’m not sure what are those paid plans

Well, it is limited. So say I get a certain number of users, as I understand, my API key will cap at some point and my users will not be able to obtain weather data = resulting in either bad reviews of refunds.

So far Samsung have shown how much they care about us developers (or in the case of GWD creators) and about end-user experiance (quality vs quantity).
So yay for us...
Board View
Newbie ale.marangio , 380 Seed Jun 23, 2017 16:30 Post #7 0
I have the same issue

This content has been quoted from jens.engemann’s thought.

I installed the latest version, but when opening any of my *.gwd files, all I see is a blank screen. No preview, nothing. Is this a bug and is now all lost? Please adivse!

Board View
Developer jens.engemann , 1180 Seed Jun 23, 2017 16:32 Post #8 0

This content has been quoted from ale.marangio’s thought.

I have the same issue

I hope that you made a backup of your *.gwd files, because once you open them in 1.4.0, you cannot open them in 1.3.2 anymore (should you plan to downgrade). This is a serious bug which needs to be fixed urgently!
Board View
Developer talmarsh , 3320 Seed Jun 23, 2017 16:54 Post #9 0
Yes - return of the BLANK GWD bug.
Everytime you open a older GWD with 1.4.0 your file gets completely botched (only salvagable through manually editing the watchface.xml).
ALWAYS BACKUP before migrating to new version of our lovely beta designer (more like alpha).
Such fun @Samsung.

Also, the weather feature doesn't work with Gear Fit 2 and is SEVERELY handicapped, you can't use it along with most other metrics (check out picture).

Board View
Newbie stephane.peru , 480 Seed Jun 23, 2017 17:08 Post #10 0
- Pourquoi avoir ajouter la Meteo si il n'est pas possible de l'utilisé avec des données s-healt, l'interet de la montre et en grande partie les données s-healt. je suis deçu. mes watchface utilisent toutes des données s-healt.
- Pourquoi ne pas avoir ajouter la fonction Météo a part dans une section Météo et non pas dans la section texte ?
- Je pense que la météo était très attendu mais pas dans ces limites la qui interdit l'utilisation de S-Healt et Météo en même temps.
- De plus sur cette version l'affichage de la date bug et reste en anglais meme si je force la langue et region en français (uniquement sur la montre), sur l'aperçu cela fonctionne.

- Why have added the Weather if it is not possible to use it with s-healt data, the interest of the watch and largely the s-healt data. I'm disappointed. My watchface all use s-healt data.
- Why not add the weather function in a weather section and not in the text section?
- I think the weather was highly anticipated but not in these limits which prohibits the use of S-Healt and Weather at the same time.
- Also on this version the date display bug and remains in English even if I force the language and region in French (only on the watch), on the preview it works.
Board View
Newbie gargravarr42 , 420 Seed Jun 23, 2017 18:53 Post #11 0
I was excited to see a Weather feature added, and immediately disappointed to learn that you can't use S-Health feature together with it.  It seems that this may be a possiblity for a future update.

However, as I am in the United States, I'd like to see the temperature available in Farenheit, not Celcius.  Am I missing a setting somewhere, either in Gear Designer or on my S2?

I'm looking forward to using other API's and hopefully even more weather information.
Board View
Newbie stephane.peru , 480 Seed Jun 23, 2017 19:36 Post #12 0

This content has been quoted from gargravarr42’s thought.

I was excited to see a Weather feature added, and immediately disappointed to learn that you can’t use S-Health feature together with it.  It seems that this may be a possiblity for a future update.

However, as I am in the United States, I’d like to see the temperature available in Farenheit, not Celcius.  Am I missing a setting somewhere, either in Gear Designer or on my S2?

I’m looking forward to using other API’s and hopefully even more weather information.

I think the setting should be done on the site and your account for the API license
Board View
Newbie gargravarr42 , 420 Seed Jun 23, 2017 20:06 Post #13 0

This content has been quoted from stephane.peru’s thought.

This content has been quoted from gargravarr42’s thought. 

I was excited to see a Weather feature added, and immediately disappointed to learn that you can’t use S-Health feature together with it.  It seems that this may be a possiblity for a future update.

However, as I am in the United States, I’d like to see the temperature available in Farenheit, not Celcius.  Am I missing a setting somewhere, either in Gear Designer or on my S2?

I’m looking forward to using other API’s and hopefully even more weather information.

I think the setting should be done on the site and your account for the API license

From what I can see, you have to add "imperial" to the API call, which I don't think we have access to.  Besides, depending on who is using the watchface, the preference may be different.  It should be set by the watch, perhaps by localization?  I can't seem to get it to work if I add "en-us" localization when building.  The Samsung weather app seems to pick up the setting somewhere. 
Board View
Expert Developer buschbaum , 25230 Seed Jun 23, 2017 21:31 Post #14 0
I must say, I have not experienced and error with the new updated so far. But I cannot understand, why the new long time awaited featute of waether information is not working together with S-Helath information? This makes no sense. Health information is a core feature of teh Gear watches. Ans so it should be with weather information.

The other update feature are nice but not worth the version jump to 1.4.0 - And still a lot to improve and to fix.... Just my 2 cents...
Board View
Newbie bruce.aodisplay , 660 Seed Jun 24, 2017 04:07 Post #15 0

I have the same issue

I hope that you made a backup of your *.gwd files, because once you open them in 1.4.0, you cannot open them in 1.3.2 anymore (should you plan to downgrade). This is a serious bug which needs to be fixed urgently!

Running into the same issue!
Board View
Developer helmut , 1840 Seed Jun 24, 2017 16:39 Post #16 0
Since you are waiting full of hope for basic extensions and get only three innovations with Verson 1.4.0 . Weather, additional options on the clock hands moving and settings. The rest is limited to bug fixes. This is quite disappointing!

Finally, I would like to add a custom second time zone clock hand with GWD, assign an analog clock hand to the current weeks of the year, improvements of administration and formatting possibilities of the fonts, assign clock hands to stopwatch and timer function, etc.. The list is long. What we developers will get with version 1.4.0 is extremely lean and does not justify the jump of the version number.

I hope for a soon next version for more useful extensions. More options are equal more sales are equal more profit for us as developers and for SAMSUNG.
Board View
Newbie sun.grown , 460 Seed Jun 25, 2017 00:10 Post #17 0
GWD 1.4.0 keeps crashing on me.  It just disappears in the middle of work with no error.  It happens almost every time I use the graphical pivot arm to rotate an object.  One time GWD was in the background, I was using another program, and it just exited. I do not remember what I was doing during the other times when it had randomly shut down but it happened about 6 times in about 20 minutes so I uninstalled and re-installed 1.3.2.

Board View
Developer hoosierdelt , 1090 Seed Jun 25, 2017 01:03 Post #18 0
All watch faces come up blank, and weather will not show up.  Please fix ASAP
Board View
Newbie sun.grown , 460 Seed Jun 25, 2017 01:09 Post #19 1

This content has been quoted from bruce.aodisplay’s thought.

I have the same issue

Running into the same issue!

I downgraded to 1.3.2 and a project that I created in 1.4.0 opened just fine.

Board View
Expert Developer buschbaum , 25230 Seed Jun 25, 2017 02:06 Post #20 0

This content has been quoted from buschbaum’s thought.

I must say, I have not experienced and error with the new updated so far. But I cannot understand, why the new long time awaited featute of waether information is not working together with S-Helath information? This makes no sense. Health information is a core feature of teh Gear watches. Ans so it should be with weather information.

The other update feature are nice but not worth the version jump to 1.4.0 - And still a lot to improve and to fix.... Just my 2 cents...

I have to quote myself because I experienced this mayor bug too: A finished working design was re-opened in 1.4.0 and the main design just disappeared. The AOD designs are still OK. I checked the xml and resources of the gwd-file and everything looks OK, but it wouldn't open in 1.4.0 anymore.

So people, be aware of this bug und don't use 1.4.0 as long as SAMSUNG hasn't fixed this error. The benefits of the upgrade are very minor anyways....
Board View
Developer info , 1750 Seed Jun 25, 2017 05:08 Post #21 0
Help! 
What to do? 
Give a link to the old version - 1.3.2 !!! (((

Board View
Expert Developer buschbaum , 25230 Seed Jun 25, 2017 06:49 Post #22 0
Just use this little arrow to select to download the older version.

Board View
Samsung Developer petruuccios , 42840 Seed Jun 25, 2017 10:47 Post #23 0
Im totally confused.
Could you please explain what this APIs are and how are they used with GWD? If I obtain any key, where do I put it?
I tried to test the new weather function, but I can't manage to display any data on the watchface, nor can I test it in GWD.
Only testing is possible by direct installing on watch?
Board View
Newbie przemek , 400 Seed Jun 25, 2017 11:57 Post #24 0
I'm using a lot of overlapping button layers (change image action), transparent buttons (for tap-blocking) and of course some app shortcuts on the top. Unfortunately in this version all overlapped buttons are active from top down to bottom... I'm considering this as a critical bug preventing proper development of anything more complex then simple background + some watch hands/text fields.
Board View
Eager Developer chefgeorge3 , 10190 Seed Jun 25, 2017 12:45 Post #25 1

This content has been quoted from petruuccios’s thought.

Im totally confused.
Could you please explain what this APIs are and how are they used with GWD? If I obtain any key, where do I put it?
I tried to test the new weather function, but I can’t manage to display any data on the watchface, nor can I test it in GWD.
Only testing is possible by direct installing on watch?

There is a new option in set preferences. In there you enter api key:
Edit>Preferences>APIs>insert key in Weather Activated field>Activate>Apply>OK

Looks like "Sync to device" in the Data/Language window of Properties is borked.
To display data you need to select a font after choosing weather data text. You will then see data displayed in the Run (f8) window.

Board View
Samsung Developer petruuccios , 42840 Seed Jun 26, 2017 07:30 Post #26 0
Thank you for help, I could move one step further :-)
Board View
Samsung Developer drazen , 50000 Seed Jun 26, 2017 12:10 Post #27 1

This content has been quoted from bluehorror’s thought.

We’ve released an updated version of Gear Watch Designer. (Release version : v1.4.0 Beta)

Your feedback is highly valued and prioritized for fixes in the release : )

1. New features

- Show weather info on your watch face.

You can now apply the weather data! add the current weather to your watch face designs using up to date info provided by OpenWeatherMap.

Before you can add weather data to your watch face, you’ll need an API key. 

Go to https://home.openweathermap.org/ and create an account to get a free API key. you can also buy a paid plans.

* Due to different Weather CPs, the weather from Openweathermap may differ from other weather apps.

When the Weather function is activated, it can not be applied together with the S-health function. this issue is going to be improved, and we will be able to support other API (Yahoo weather etc.) in the future.

- Preference settings

You can customize your Watch Designer basic settings.  

2. Improvements and fixes

- ’Jump hour/minute’ property is added to hour/minute hand.
- ’Frequency’ property is added to a sweep effect of second hand.

We’ve fixed 

- a watch face display failure when an ICU format string "h", "E", "e", or "ee" are used in Gear S.
- a watch face bitmap font display failure when ’others’ or ’custom’ category items are used in Gear S.
- Gear S .wgt install failure when project name includes ’(’ or ’)’.
- gyro effect issue that happens when a timeline condition is added to a component.
- an icon resolution issue on a Mac dock bar.
- 15 frame animation sync issue.

For more information, visit the Gear Watch Designer website. 

Dear development team! First of all, it's great that we're finally getting close to having functional weather widgets - this feature has been on top of most request lists for ages. Also, it's nice that other suggestions from the forum have been implemented (the additional seconds properties). While not that big of a deal for most people here, it's also really commendable that Gear S is still being supported and considered in these updates.

Obviously, the current implementation of weather info is severely limited. I'm sure you know this as well, so this update is probably only a short stepping stone before we go to 1.4.1, when Weather and Health data can be used together. Forcing us to choose between Weather or Health is going to cause a lot of grief both from developers, as well as users. I'm not sure many are willing to give up their step counters and heartbeat monitors for current temperature... I'm certainly not willing to give those up.

Speaking of Weather, I think more clarification is needed about API. From what I can tell, the free Open Weather Map API supports 60 requests per minute - basically, 1 request per second. The problem with this setup is that it's some watchfaces could break this limit, which will cause a 1 hour ban on API. And the OWM policy is such that once that limit is broken, it's highly probable that further bans will follow, resulting in 4 hour and 24 hour bans. While this probably will not be a big problem for paid watchfaces, it could be a problem for the free ones that get thousands of downloads. 

This forces developers to pay for extra API plans, which start at 40$ monthly. That's quite a step-up, resulting in almost 500$ yearly just to be able to support a higher number of users. 

Yahoo weather has similar free rate offerings, but from what I could gather, their Terms of use require authors to use Yahoo logo on their watchfaces. Which could be a big problem for some designs...

In the end, it would be ungrateful not to thank the dev team for at least trying to address the repeated Weather requests, but also I have to be fair and say that I don't think anyone was expecting it to be this limiting. I'm pretty sure most people were hoping we could just piggy-back on the included Samsung Weather app and pull data from there - which makes much more sense, but I'm sure there's a good reason why it couldn't be done that way (an explanation would be cool!).

I've personally rolled back to the previous GWD version, because the blank-project on reopening is too much of a problem to keep working normally.

Thanks and hope to hear some feedback from the dev team!

Board View
Newbie computergeek90 , 370 Seed Jun 26, 2017 13:23 Post #28 1

Here is what I did to fix this. You have to have the .tpk file and 7zip for this to work.
  1. If you have the .tpk file you can open it with 7zip 
  2. copy everything from the "res" folder except the fonts folder, any complication folders, and the watchface.xml file into an empty folder on your desktop
  3.  You then need to open the .gwd file with the 7zip
  4. open the "res" folder
  5. move everything from the folder on your desktop (where you copied everything from the .tpk file) into the "res" folder
  6. close the 7zip window and open gear watch designer
  7. open the project and find it in the workspace
Now everything should be back to the way it was. This process worked for me and I hope it works for you guys as well. Again this will only work IF you have the .tpk file

Board View
Expert Developer buschbaum , 25230 Seed Jun 26, 2017 14:30 Post #29 0

This content has been quoted from computergeek90’s thought.

Here is what I did to fix this. You have to have the .tpk file and 7zip for this to work.
  2. copy everything from the "res" folder except the fonts folder, any complication folders, and the watchface.xml file into an empty folder on your desktop
  4. open the "res" folder
  5. move everything from the folder on your desktop (where you copied everything from the .tpk file) into the "res" folder
Now everything should be back to the way it was. This process worked for me and I hope it works for you guys as well. Again this will only work IF you have the .tpk file

Thanks for the approach, but this method didn't work with me... :(
Board View
Newbie computergeek90 , 370 Seed Jun 26, 2017 14:39 Post #30 0

This content has been quoted from buschbaum’s thought.

This content has been quoted from computergeek90’s thought.

4. open the "res" folder

Thanks for the approach, but this method didn’t work with me... :(

did you revert back to 1.3.2? I forgot to mention that I did this first then did the other stuff and it worked for me
Board View
Newbie jeff , 230 Seed Jun 26, 2017 21:58 Post #31 1
What is the rationale behind not just pulling the weather data from the built in weather app?

Board View
Developer hoosierdelt , 1090 Seed Jul 07, 2017 21:00 Post #32 0
Has anyone found a way to change the units on the API call to Imperial,or Fahrenheit?  
Board View
Developer ph.cazaux.moutou , 8720 Seed Jan 14, 2018 09:05 Post #33 0

This content has been quoted from stephane.peru’s thought.

- Pourquoi avoir ajouter la Meteo si il n’est pas possible de l’utilisé avec des données s-healt, l’interet de la montre et en grande partie les données s-healt. je suis deçu. mes watchface utilisent toutes des données s-healt. 
- Pourquoi ne pas avoir ajouter la fonction Météo a part dans une section Météo et non pas dans la section texte ?
- Je pense que la météo était très attendu mais pas dans ces limites la qui interdit l’utilisation de S-Healt et Météo en même temps.
- De plus sur cette version l’affichage de la date bug et reste en anglais meme si je force la langue et region en français (uniquement sur la montre), sur l’aperçu cela fonctionne.

- Why have added the Weather if it is not possible to use it with s-healt data, the interest of the watch and largely the s-healt data. I’m disappointed. My watchface all use s-healt data.
- Why not add the weather function in a weather section and not in the text section?
- I think the weather was highly anticipated but not in these limits which prohibits the use of S-Healt and Weather at the same time.
- Also on this version the date display bug and remains in English even if I force the language and region in French (only on the watch), on the preview it works.

Bonjour

As tu réussi pour la météo ??
si oui comment ??

Merci

Board View
Newbie searched4me , 310 Seed Apr 21, 2018 05:30 Post #34 0
You really think they can't do everything right the first time?
They don't want to do that.