Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

Gear Watch Designer windows on Mac Os Sierra on start not responding

Forums View
Started by Developer frank , 1360 Seed Nov 24, 2017 16:54 Replies : 15 View : 4902 Likes : 4
I have a problem with the gear wtach designer. Installed it on macbook air with mac os sierra.
Program starts without error but freeze on the welcome screen. No input possible and windows not responding.
Could not create a watch face or open existing. Ecen can not close the windows. Only with finder exit immediately function.

What can I do do get it work. 

Thx
Frank
Board View
Newbie carlysilver , 600 Seed Nov 24, 2017 23:51 Post #1 0
I've encountered the same problem. Resintaling the program did not help and neither did installing previous versions of the gear designer (1.5.0 and 1.4.1) did not solve the issue.

Using java run time environment 8u152 if that matters.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!
Board View
Developer frank , 1360 Seed Nov 25, 2017 10:18 Post #2 0

This content has been quoted from carlysilver’s thought.

I’ve encountered the same problem. Resintaling the program did not help and neither did installing previous versions of the gear designer (1.5.0 and 1.4.1) did not solve the issue.

Using java run time environment 8u152 if that matters.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

Tried also to modify config.xml to not display the welcome screen. Now GWD starts without asking to open or to create watch face. But problem stays the same. No menu item can be choosen and window cannot be closed . GWD does not respond on any keyboard or mouse action.
Board View
Samsung Developer s.arefin , 38910 Seed Nov 27, 2017 11:30 Post #3 0
Hi, 
suggestion , give another try..
re-install GWD in different directory/location. hope you use the java 8 (JRE 1.8)version, latestest version have some problem.
hope this help.

Board View
Developer frank , 1360 Seed Nov 27, 2017 14:20 Post #4 0
Have JRE 1.8 installed. What do you mean with different location? I have only one hard drive available. And the installation does not give me the choise to choose another path than default.
Board View
Samsung Developer s.arefin , 38910 Seed Nov 28, 2017 11:14 Post #5 0

This content has been quoted from frank’s thought.

Have JRE 1.8 installed. What do you mean with different location? I have only one hard drive available. And the installation does not give me the choise to choose another path than default.

Then what you can do, remove the chache  data for GWD and re-install, check whether it is work or not.  
Board View
Developer frank , 1360 Seed Nov 30, 2017 12:47 Post #6 0

This content has been quoted from s.arefin’s thought.

Then what you can do, remove the chache  data for GWD and re-install, check whether it is work or not.  

No change, still not able to click on any menu item of gwd. Also keyboard shortcuts to assign menu items does not work. GWD can only be closed by Apple Menu - close application.

Board View
Developer frank , 1360 Seed Nov 30, 2017 14:36 Post #7 1

No change, still not able to click on any menu item of gwd. Also keyboard shortcuts to assign menu items does not work. GWD can only be closed by Apple Menu - close application.

Finally got it to work. Set jdk8_65 in the info.plist of gear watch designer and now it works
Board View
Newbie nateleslie.tech , 210 Seed Dec 01, 2017 00:48 Post #8 0

Finally got it to work. Set jdk8_65 in the info.plist of gear watch designer and now it works

Can you possibly post where and how to set jdk8_65 in the info.plist?  My macbook pro with Sierra did the same thing a few days ago.  And which jdk package did you install?

A few weeks ago, the drop down lists in the program wouldn't display fully.  They would only show a single vertical line and most wouldn't allow you to select anything.  I wasn't able to set my Fonts for any designs because of this.  After updating to 1.5.1 Beta and still not correcting this issue, I updated my Java... and that's when the program start-up freeze happened.
Board View
Developer frank , 1360 Seed Dec 01, 2017 15:13 Post #9 1
I opened Gear Watch designer Apllication details on right click in Finder.  In detail show package content. Than editted info.plist with textedit.
There is an area with commented jdk Versions. I uncommented one and set my Path jdk8u_65.jdk which is the jdk Version I installed.
This forces gwd to use this jdk version. You can try other versions but with jdk 9 it does not work for me.
Board View
Newbie carlysilver , 600 Seed Dec 03, 2017 20:30 Post #10 2
It took a few weeks, but I was finally able to get GWD to work on High Sierra!

I had to go through ensuring all Java versions (JRE or JDK) were removed (I used these instructions to ensure I got ALL versions cleaned off:https://www.howtogeek.com/230145/how-to-uninstall-java-on-mac-os-x/).

Uninstalled GWD

Restarted

Installed JDK 8u151 (8u152 does not work for some reason even if you change the info.plist): http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

Confirmed JDK was installed accurately using the same instructions for the java uninstall above.

Reinstalled GWD

And finally it works and responds to keyboard and mouse inputs!

Hope that helps :)
Board View
Newbie jettaus75 , 220 Seed Dec 07, 2017 10:08 Post #11 0

I had to go through ensuring all Java versions (JRE or JDK) were removed (I used these instructions to ensure I got ALL versions cleaned off:https://www.howtogeek.com/230145/how-to-uninstall-java-on-mac-os-x/).

Uninstalled GWD

Restarted

Installed JDK 8u151 (8u152 does not work for some reason even if you change the info.plist): http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

Confirmed JDK was installed accurately using the same instructions for the java uninstall above.

Reinstalled GWD

Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU Carlysilver! Your instructions were spot on. I'm using El Capitan, installed Java 8u152 and had the same problem. Uninstalled all versions of Java, GWD, forgot to restart, installed JDK 8u151 and GWD, and it worked. Happy days. :)

Board View
Newbie a.floyd135 , 580 Seed Jan 22, 2018 16:36 Post #12 0
So I have tried all of the things that you guys have said, and, to a point, it helped. I finally got the program to open; however, I cannot get mouse/keyboard input to work. I am using Java JDK 1.8 161.

This content has been quoted from jettaus75’s thought.

Uninstalled GWD

Restarted

Reinstalled GWD

Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU Carlysilver! Your instructions were spot on. I’m using El Capitan, installed Java 8u152 and had the same problem. Uninstalled all versions of Java, GWD, forgot to restart, installed JDK 8u151 and GWD, and it worked. Happy days. :)

Board View
Newbie dave.parry , 220 Seed Feb 10, 2018 19:58 Post #13 0
Any idea where I can get 151?
only versions on java site seem to be 161 or 162.
Thanks
Board View
Newbie ron_bradley , 210 Seed Feb 14, 2018 17:39 Post #14 0

This content has been quoted from dave.parry’s thought.

Any idea where I can get 151?
only versions on java site seem to be 161 or 162.
Thanks

Try here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-javase8-2177648.html?printOnly=1

Make sure you download the JDK, not strictly runtime.

As a follow-up, I followed the instructions on this thread and everything now [seems] to work perfectly. If that changes, once I get deeper into a project, I will update my post.

Board View
Newbie kai.himanen , 210 Seed Jul 12, 2018 08:32 Post #15 0

This content has been quoted from frank’s thought.

I opened Gear Watch designer Apllication details on right click in Finder.  In detail show package content. Than editted info.plist with textedit.
There is an area with commented jdk Versions. I uncommented one and set my Path jdk8u_65.jdk which is the jdk Version I installed.
This forces gwd to use this jdk version. You can try other versions but with jdk 9 it does not work for me.

I don't have any JDK entry in my plist. How should it look like? Perhaps I can add one. I have the latest GWD installed, 1.5.4.

/Kai