Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

How do you activate developer mode on Family Hub fridge?

Forums View
Started by Newbie geordiemof**** , 150 Seed Nov 28, 2017 09:08 Replies : 8 View : 7449 Likes : 4
Hi all, I have a family hub fridge and want to experiment with creating my own apps with Tizen studio.  Is ther a tutorial somewhere on connecting Tizen studio to Family Hub?  'm assuming I need to activate developer mode but I'm not going to rip open my fridge and find a serial port so there must be an in-OS way to do it similar to phones.

Thanks!

Board View
Newbie marvin.hasenm**** , 380 Seed Dec 01, 2017 14:18 Post #1 1
Yeah, there is a tutorial, but I can't connect to the family hub with this tutorial. The Tizen Studio Remote Device Manager doesn't recognize the fridge in the network. So my question is also like yours. How can I connect via the Tizen Studio remote Device Manager to my Family Hub? I tried it with the "scan device" option and I tried to enter the IP address and standard port (26101?) but still can't find the fridge.
Board View
Newbie sy**** , 260 Seed Dec 05, 2017 00:58 Post #2 1
Anyone manage to solve this yet?
Board View
Newbie abdulwaheeddevelope**** , 610 Seed Mar 08, 2018 18:09 Post #3 2
To develop for the Family Hub, you need to request access to the documentation - apparently Samsung does not want to enable DIY-ers to sideload whatever they want on their fridge, and to some extent I can understand that
Enabling developer mode is not yet documented (publicly) on actual household Family Hub devices
To register as a Partner, you got to have a clear vision and designs regarding your service that is going to run on the fridge
From this, I think Samsung does not want to handle Family Hub devices as regular IOT devices, and will have a quite tight grip around the platform - much like how they do it with the Gear series, e.g. you can only use your own apps for a certain time, and apps can't just be installed from third party sources. I wouldn't be surprised if they locked down third party APK sources in Oreo on the Galaxy line.
Board View
Newbie thanikc , 370 Seed Apr 18, 2019 08:42 Post #4 0

This content has been quoted from marvin.hasenm****’s thought.

Yeah, there is a , but I can’t connect to the family hub with this tutorial. The Tizen Studio Remote Device Manager doesn’t recognize the fridge in the network. So my question is also like yours. How can I connect via the Tizen Studio remote Device Manager to my Family Hub? I tried it with the "scan device" option and I tried to enter the IP address and standard port (26101?) but still can’t find the fridge.

My guess ist that you have to activate the developer mode on the fridge before it can be detected - haven't tried it yet. How to do this is described at: https://smartthings.developer.samsung.com/docs/guides/testing/developer-mode.html
Board View
Newbie dodegkr , 310 Seed May 07, 2019 17:51 Post #5 0

This content has been quoted from abdulwaheeddevelope****’s thought.

To develop for the Family Hub, you need to request access to the documentation - apparently Samsung does not want to enable DIY-ers to sideload whatever they want on their fridge, and to some extent I can understand that
Enabling developer mode is not yet documented (publicly) on actual household Family Hub devices
To register as a Partner, you got to have a clear  and designs regarding your service that is going to run on the fridge
From this, I think Samsung does not want to handle Family Hub devices as regular IOT devices, and will have a quite tight grip around the platform - much like how they do it with the Gear series, e.g. you can only use your own apps for a certain time, and apps can’t just be installed from third party sources. I wouldn’t be surprised if they locked down third party APK sources in Oreo on the Galaxy line.

Request how ?
Board View
r.liechty_SDP , May 08, 2019 16:07 Post #6 0

This content has been quoted from dodegkr’s thought.

This content has been quoted from abdulwaheeddevelope****’s thought.

To register as a Partner, you got to have a clear  and designs regarding your service that is going to run on the fridge
From this, I think Samsung does not want to handle Family Hub devices as regular IOT devices, and will have a quite tight grip around the platform - much like how they do it with the Gear series, e.g. you can only use your own apps for a certain time, and apps can’t just be installed from third party sources. I wouldn’t be surprised if they locked down third party APK sources in Oreo on the Galaxy line.

Request how ?

Click on Devices here in the Samsung Developers Site on the menu bar and select Family Hub tne the Get Access 
Board View
Newbie f**** , 310 Seed Jul 26, 2019 10:39 Post #7 0

Yeah, there is a , but I can’t connect to the family hub with this tutorial. The Tizen Studio Remote Device Manager doesn’t recognize the fridge in the network. So my question is also like yours. How can I connect via the Tizen Studio remote Device Manager to my Family Hub? I tried it with the "scan device" option and I tried to enter the IP address and standard port (26101?) but still can’t find the fridge.

Board View
r.liechty_SDP , Jul 29, 2019 17:31 Post #8 0

This content has been quoted from f****’s thought.

You can't connect to a Samsung Device without a Samsung Distributor Certificate. See this page on Author and Distributor Certificates. I know Tizen distributor certificates will not work for Samsung Watches and Samsung Smart TV's so I doubt they work for Smart Hubs either.

The other thing is to make sure everything is on the same network and often modern routers have a 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands and name them both the same you have to be on the same band.

Hope this helps,  Family Hub is not in my area of expertise but certificates are.

Ron
Samsung Developer Program