Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

Altimeter on watch face?

Forums View
Started by Newbie mark.dawson , 590 Seed Dec 23, 2017 20:07 Replies : 8 View : 1091 Likes : 1
Fairly new to the GWD. I'm trying to make my own "ideal" watch face, and since I'm somewhat obsessed with knowing at what elevation I am, I'd like to add an altimeter directly on my main watch face. I can't figure out how to do that, though, despite searching the forums. Am I missing something, or is it not possible for some reason?
Tags

altimeter

Board View
Eager Developer phil.rawlings , 11340 Seed Dec 24, 2017 04:59 Post #1 0
It's not possible through GWD at this time. You can assign a button to open the altimeter app, or you can do it through Tizen using more programming skills than GWD needs. Hopefully it will be a function in the future. I'd like to have it on mine, would be cool for when trekking the Himalayas!
Board View
Newbie mark.dawson , 590 Seed Dec 24, 2017 15:17 Post #2 0
Thanks for the clarification. Yes, would be good to have access to everything the watch can do.

This is really frustrating. I ran into the same kind of issues with my Pebble. Excited that I could design my own face that FINALLY has all of the info I want in ONE PLACE, but all of the interesting things are unavailable.

-Altimeter
-Sunrise / sunset
-Day's high / low temps
-Moonphase

I think I've figured out that I can somehow calculate the moon phase and do some sort of graphic rotation voodoo. But basically my watchface is just a collection of date and time and temp like all the others, which is really dissapointing. As soon as I get to the interesting stuff I find out it isn't possible.

This content has been quoted from phil.rawlings’s thought.

It’s not possible through GWD at this time. You can assign a button to open the altimeter app, or you can do it through Tizen using more programming skills than GWD needs. Hopefully it will be a function in the future. I’d like to have it on mine, would be cool for when trekking the Himalayas!

Board View
Developer randypenn , 5900 Seed Dec 25, 2017 16:56 Post #3 0
It is frustrating to not be able to access everything. Moon phase is one thing that is built in to GWD, however. There are a number of ways it can be integrated. You can make an old school moon phase with a cutout, or you can have an image display based on the moon phase. You can just display the lunar day. Not many limitations, but some uses require some creative problem solving.
Board View
Newbie mark.dawson , 590 Seed Dec 26, 2017 16:45 Post #4 0

This content has been quoted from randypenn’s thought.

It is frustrating to not be able to access everything. Moon phase is one thing that is built in to GWD, however. There are a number of ways it can be integrated. You can make an old school moon phase with a cutout, or you can have an image display based on the moon phase. You can just display the lunar day. Not many limitations, but some uses require some creative problem solving.

I have figured out how to implement a crude moon phase (using the 8 integers mapped to a bitmap image). Still can't figure out how to access other parameters in the openweathermap API data such as sys.sunrise, sys.sunset, and the forecast MAX and MIN temperatures. Or the altimeter or barometer, but it seems pretty clear that just isn't possible.
Board View
Newbie mark.dawson , 590 Seed Dec 26, 2017 17:40 Post #5 0
I have figured out how to implement a crude moon phase (using the 8 integers mapped to a bitmap image). Still can’t figure out how to access other parameters in the openweathermap API data such as sys.sunrise, sys.sunset, and the forecast MAX and MIN temperatures. Or the altimeter or barometer, but it seems pretty clear that just isn’t possible.

Edit: I reviewed existing watch faces to see if I could figure anything out, and realized several of the built-in faces (Active Classic, Frontier, Dashboard) show sunrise / sunset times...is there a way to do that within GWD, or did they do it directly in Tizen or whatever?
Board View
Samsung Developer petruuccios , 42840 Seed Dec 26, 2017 22:29 Post #6 0

This content has been quoted from mark.dawson’s thought.

I have figured out how to implement a crude moon phase (using the 8 integers mapped to a bitmap image). Still can’t figure out how to access other parameters in the openweathermap API data such as sys.sunrise, sys.sunset, and the forecast MAX and MIN temperatures. Or the altimeter or barometer, but it seems pretty clear that just isn’t possible.

Edit: I reviewed existing watch faces to see if I could figure anything out, and realized several of the built-in faces (Active Classic, Frontier, Dashboard) show sunrise / sunset times...is there a way to do that within GWD, or did they do it directly in Tizen or whatever?

the preloaded faces were not made by GWD. They even do not use the same source for weather data.
Whatever they used, they were not restricted by OPR nor by 1min AoD update time.
Board View
Samsung Developer drazen , 50000 Seed Dec 27, 2017 16:44 Post #7 1

This content has been quoted from mark.dawson’s thought.

We only wish :) The default faces provide much more functionality than what we are allowed to do through GWD. My biggest issue is everything related to weather, as I feel that the current system with all the complications and limitations (can't use weather and health data in same watchface) is pretty much useless.
Board View
Newbie ronas77 , 210 Seed Jan 15, 2018 15:20 Post #8 0
What softwares are you guys using to develop watch faces. I have been trying to use the samsung develop software but I am having issues with syncing it to my watch. I am new to this and I would like to learn more about building my own watch faces. 
Ron
www.enzonaildesigns.com