Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

Pay to List New Faces?

Forums View
Started by Samsung Developer stevenbarlowtx , 59310 Seed Jan 25, 2018 20:59 Replies : 6 View : 644 Likes : 2
So I think there's pretty common agreement from developers here that there are a lot of, let's call them junk or low quality (IMO), faces being developed and listed on the store, and there have been several ideas for changing the store, changing approval process, etc. There are too many new faces each day, faces drop from the list too fast, and so on.

What if Samsung charged a fee, say 1.00 or more for each new face released, even free ones? Updates would be free.

Do you think this would cut down on the junk being released and help improve the quality of faces for customers? Actually, if the fee were something like 5.00 that would really cut down the crap, as people would really have to think if they would re-coup that money.

Thoughts?

Board View
Samsung Developer drazen , 49420 Seed Jan 25, 2018 23:53 Post #1 1
As I have repeatedly pointed out here on the forum, I think we simply need a limit as to how many watches a single developer can upload. I would scale that up as time progresses and said developer gains experience and rating. I guess your idea could be incorporated into this as well. You get 1 free watchface weekly, if you want to upload more - pay. Or something like that...

Speaking of ratings, it's also bad that there's no developer ratings, or even a developers "home page".
Board View
Developer hennet.nailo , 9330 Seed Jan 26, 2018 05:23 Post #2 1

This content has been quoted from stevenbarlowtx’s thought.

So I think there’s pretty common agreement from developers here that there are a lot of, let’s call them junk or low quality (IMO), faces being developed and listed on the store, and there have been several ideas for changing the store, changing approval process, etc. There are too many new faces each day, faces drop from the list too fast, and so on.

What if Samsung charged a fee, say 1.00 or more for each new face released, even free ones? Updates would be free.

Do you think this would cut down on the junk being released and help improve the quality of faces for customers? Actually, if the fee were something like 5.00 that would really cut down the crap, as people would really have to think if they would re-coup that money.

Thoughts?

Glad that this topic has been highlighted, because the matter (and the pain) is real.
I'm not convinced about the 1$ fee to pay in order to upload a watchface considering we already pay a fee to samsung (which is right) and an additional fee for the change (in my case from $ to €). For the minor sellers this would be another boulder up to their shoulders but i agree with you that there are too many inconsistent watchfaces that have been spammed over and over.
In my opinion the real problem here is the visibility. The store keeps suggesting the same watchfaces over and over like there's a monopoly on it and with this system is quite impossible to reach a spot where customers can at least see your work. I think there are many nice watchfaces out there that have been casted into the dustbin because of this system, and with more visibility they could reach nice selling rate.
A limit to upload watchfaces? I don't think this would be the solution, plus, if i have to launch a series i have to wait too much while i want to lunch the entire line-up in a single shot. So the system you suggested, drazen, would penalize both the junk-makers and the good workers.
This pain we're talking about rely on the fact that many customers are lured to ''new watchfaces'' section which is like finding a golden nugget in a dumpster sometimes.
This is my idea: Samsung should make galaxy app platform in a sort of ''social media'' where you can follow the developer and being informed with a notification when his work has been uploaded or updated or a discount available so this would increase the amount of customers, selling and income for both samsung and developers (and the visibility too). Also of course, a rating system for the developers and why not, as drazen said, a page with the list of the main developers shown based on the country you are in. Think about Youtube, on the main page you have a trendy video section (based on nation) and the video uploaded by your subscriptions. There's also a section to see the videos that have been uploaded recently but, honestly, how many people use that ''kind of research''? 
If we want to fix the store and how it suggests watchfaces, we need to rethink the current system, because now it really needs a total reshaping.

Hennet Nailo
Board View
r.liechty , Jan 26, 2018 17:59 Post #3 0
Your reactions and complaints about this topic are being heard. Samsung wants the designers to be successful, that is how they succeed.  There is an internal dialog going on now about this topic.  If you feel you have a solution post it, discuss it, I'll report on it.

There are many ways to promote your Gear Watch Faces, if you are relying solely on the store you probably are going to miss a lot of potential customers. Here are a few suggestions on how to market your watch faces. 

There is a webinar you can view now on promoting Gear Watch Faces it has several useful suggestions on how it works in real life. 

Also there is a YouTube video of the Samsung Developers conference GWD Sessions that can also help.

Ron

Board View
Developer hennet.nailo , 9330 Seed Jan 26, 2018 19:32 Post #4 0
Ty for the tips Ron, speaking about myself, i already use these strategies the video shows and it's great how you're gone so far, helping us developers to reach as many customers as possible but i think that changing the way the store is ''arranged'' could be the main solution.
Board View
Newbie 6a7la , 570 Seed Jan 28, 2018 06:06 Post #5 0

This content has been quoted from r.liechty’s thought.

Your reactions and complaints about this topic are being heard. Samsung wants the designers to be successful, that is how they succeed.  There is an internal dialog going on now about this topic.  If you feel you have a solution post it, discuss it, I’ll report on it.

There are many ways to promote your Gear Watch Faces, if you are relying solely on the store you probably are going to miss a lot of potential customers. Here are a few suggestions on how to market your watch faces. 

There is a webinar you can view now on promoting Gear Watch Faces, it has several useful suggestions on how it works in real life. 

Also there is a YouTube video of the Samsung Developers conference GWD Sessions that can also help.

Ron

Hey, ron, i can't thankyou enough for the webinars, thank a lot

Board View
r.liechty , Jan 29, 2018 22:09 Post #6 0

This content has been quoted from hennet.nailo’s thought.

Ty for the tips Ron, speaking about myself, i already use these strategies the video shows and it’s great how you’re gone so far, helping us developers to reach as many customers as possible but i think that changing the way the store is ’’arranged’’ could be the main solution.

I didn't realize it but our Samsung Developer Program (a program to help developers succeed) has recently release some articles on how to promote the Galaxy Apps, Gear Watch Faces and Gear Apps as well as Themes.  You can find some great information. on theGear Promotion web site.

Finally,  this and other articles have spurred an internal discussion on ensuring that quality watch faces are given good exposure so keep posting ideas.

Ron