Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

Tizen 3 update breaks apps which use filesystem API

Forums View
Started by Developer tipztv , 4330 Seed Nov 29, 2017 01:07 Replies : 5 View : 1029 Likes : 0
Hello,

I have a few apps in the store that have been in stable state for the last 2 years. All of these apps use the filesystem api (web) to read storage on the watch. The recent Tizen 3 update seems to break these apps and I do not have any ideas why. I do not see any changes in API or changelog on the dev website. The apps sometimes work on my S3 classic without any code modification. The other times it just hangs up when trying to read the storage. Debugging does not yield any errors at all.

Please let me know what I need to change or any solutions that you find. I notice the Tizen 3 update seems to cause a lot of troubles for other developers as well. This should not be taken lightly if Samsung wants to grow the dev community.

Thanks
Board View
Developer rumata87 , 7310 Seed Nov 29, 2017 06:05 Post #1 0
Hi! Have you tried reset watch after update? This may solve such problems...
Board View
Developer tipztv , 4330 Seed Nov 29, 2017 08:23 Post #2 0

This content has been quoted from rumata87’s thought.

yes, it solves the problem in some cases but I cannot just ask the user to reset their devices just for this. There must be a fix or an update from Samsung to solve this problem.
Board View
Developer rumata87 , 7310 Seed Nov 29, 2017 12:58 Post #3 0

This content has been quoted from tipztv’s thought.

yes, it solves the problem in some cases but I cannot just ask the user to reset their devices just for this. There must be a fix or an update from Samsung to solve this problem.

I'm not Linux expert, but seems update breaks app's folders permissions. Don't think there's adequate solution for this, except recommending users to reset their watch. You may also motivate them to do it saying it is good practice reset any kind of device after major update to fix bugs it's causing.

So we have following: API haven't changed. Clean app instal don't fix issue. Reset fixes.
Board View
Developer tipztv , 4330 Seed Nov 29, 2017 14:54 Post #4 0

I’m not Linux expert, but seems update breaks app’s folders permissions. Don’t think there’s adequate solution for this, except recommending users to reset their watch. You may also motivate them to do it saying it is good practice reset any kind of device after major update to fix bugs it’s causing.

So we have following: API haven’t changed. Clean app instal don’t fix issue. Reset fixes.

I am sure it is not breaking the read file permission. Otherwise, a reinstall should be enough to fix.

Also as I said, it only solves the problem in some cases. It may not work at first reset. 2 users of mine had to do it twice. I did face the same problem with a clean (resetted) watch. On 1 test session, it worked but then it did not work on the next launch. I did absolutely nothing other than launching the app between the two sessions. The dev team better do something about it before the developers switch platform.

Board View
Samsung Developer iqbal.sublime , 37150 Seed Nov 30, 2017 10:32 Post #5 0

I’m not Linux expert, but seems update breaks app’s folders permissions. Don’t think there’s adequate solution for this, except recommending users to reset their watch. You may also motivate them to do it saying it is good practice reset any kind of device after major update to fix bugs it’s causing.

So we have following: API haven’t changed. Clean app instal don’t fix issue. Reset fixes.

I am sure it is not breaking the read file permission. Otherwise, a reinstall should be enough to fix.

Also as I said, it only solves the problem in some cases. It may not work at first reset. 2 users of mine had to do it twice. I did face the same problem with a clean (resetted) watch. On 1 test session, it worked but then it did not work on the next launch. I did absolutely nothing other than launching the app between the two sessions. The dev team better do something about it before the developers switch platform.

After OS upgrate, it shows same problem on my Gear S3. I reset the gear and it solved my problem.... Hope it will help you