announcement | iot
Getting Started with SmartThings
If you’re new to SmartThings, there is no shortage of resources to help you get up and running. In addition to the tutorials and our developer guides located in the documentation site, we offer many tools which allow you to integrate your devices and services into the SmartThings Cloud. The following information will provide you with a high level overview of SmartThings to help you get started.
What is SmartThings
SmartThings is Samsung’s open IoT ecosystem. From mobile and wearable devices to TVs and refrigerators, SmartThings has the largest coverage of competitive IoT devices. Thanks to the open nature of the SmartThings ecosystem, it’s extremely easy to integrate devices that immediately benefit from our latest features. Developers can then create complex automations that enable smart interactions between devices, furthering the potential of the Internet of Things.
As an end-to-end IoT solution, SmartThings also provides SmartThings Cloud, a data exchange platform that sets up easy, secure connections between devices and applications without being restricted by silos. SmartThings Cloud allows developers to focus on their core expertise and accelerate their time to market. You will find it easier than ever to integrate your devices, services, and existing solutions in the cloud, for true interoperability and easy access to millions of devices through a single application.
After you register for an account on SmartThings using your existing Samsung account or create a new Samsung account, you will have access to our Developer Workspace which provides easy to use tools for integrating your devices or services into SmartThings Cloud.
- Web Console: Using the web console, you can easily define an IoT device, register an automation and request certificates.
- SmartThings SDK: By downloading the SDK, you can also define an IoT device, register an automation as well as test with the built in simulators. The SDK consists of an add-on package for the Atom editor, a CLI tool to provide additional functionality as well as a Device Plugin Simulator used for your SmartThings plugin and the Virtual Device in order to test the interaction between the app and device.
As mentioned previously in the Developer Workspace description, this suite of tools allows you to test your automations and devices with the SmartThings app.
Logger allows you to trace the activites of the virtual or physical device.
Device Plugin Simulator will allow you to test the appearance of your device in the SmartThings app and the possible interactions within the app.
Virtual Device allows you to test without a physical device.
What can you build?
The SmartThings Platform allows you to build innovative IoT solutions in order to integrate with the SmartThings Cloud.
- Automations can automatically control and get status notifications from IoT devices. This gives you the opportunity to monitor events from IoT devices and automatically interact with them using the SmartThings API.
- Cloud-to-cloud Devices connect indirectly through a third-party cloud using the SmartThings Connector. An example would be a device that has their own cloud such as LIFX or Nest which connects to SmartThings cloud through their own cloud.
- Cloud-connected Devices connect directly to the SmartThings Cloud which uses the open standard OCF.
Our developer documentation features several comprehensive articles especially aimed to support new SmartThings developers.
- Getting Started guides provide step by step instructions on creating your automation, cloud-to-cloud device and cloud-connected devices.
- Developer Workspace documentation provides you with an overview of our suite of tools as well as getting started instructions and simplified tutorials.
- How to Test instructions provides you with information on accessing the essential tools to test your solution including helpful tutorials.
- WWST Certification Program: Learn more about becoming a Works with SmartThings (WWST).
Finally, if you still have questions about SmartThings, reach out to our support team. We are here to help!