Subscription preference

Notification emails are sent to your Samsung account email address.

* Email : anonymous@samsung.com

Close

Testers are testing wrong with Watchface on Table !?!

Forums View
Started by Developer info , 6430 Seed Jan 16, 2018 13:54 Replies : 7 View : 587 Likes : 1
I always get videos from the testers who are testing the watchfaces and reject my design.

The main problem is, that they test with the plain watchface on a table. This way, the sensor does not recognize the warm arm and mailfunctions the watchface.
This is very bad. My watchface works perfectly on arm and wrist. But when the testers are testing it on the table it always doesnt work properly. Somehow, they dont know, that the pulse sensor is reliable for some functions regarding the Display.

My issue regards the ALWAYS ON MODE and ACTIVE MODE:

I designed a watchface in ALWAYS ON Mode, and i dont need to design the Active Mode, because when GYRO recognizes the movement , the Display switches to ACTIVE, the AO becomes ACTIVE automaticly. BUT only when you have it on the arm and wrist. It won't work on a table where there is no movement or pulse at all.

I use it on GEAR S2 all the time. I didnt need to design an additional ACTIVE Design.

We need to assign the testers to test properly and make the QC on an arm/wrist.

Tags

testing , tester , testers

Board View
Samsung Developer drazen , 49420 Seed Jan 17, 2018 00:16 Post #1 0
What do you mean when you say "designed a watchface in ALWAYS ON Mode, and i dont need to design the Active Mode, because when GYRO recognizes the movement , the Display switches to ACTIVE, the AO becomes ACTIVE automaticly."? You only have the AOD mode? No wonder they're refusing the watchface. 

Please just make the active screen as well, it's not the review team that's the problem, it's you. Your app does not perform as expected. An active screen is a basic feature that you can't just ignore. The watch needs to function even if it's not on your wrist. Some people wear their watches over their clothing, some people want to use they're watches while they're charging, or they take them off before going into the shower. For example I frequently conduct phone calls while my watch is on the charger.

Also I see absolutely ZERO sense in what you're doing. Why not create the active screen first and then just copy the design with literally one click over to the AOD mode? You're doing it backwards...

You can't just expect Samsung to cater to your own set of rules.
Board View
Developer info , 6430 Seed Jan 17, 2018 10:37 Post #2 0

This content has been quoted from drazen’s thought.

What do you mean when you say "designed a watchface in ALWAYS ON Mode, and i dont need to design the Active Mode, because when GYRO recognizes the movement , the Display switches to ACTIVE, the AO becomes ACTIVE automaticly."? You only have the AOD mode? No wonder they’re refusing the watchface. 

Please just make the active screen as well, it’s not the review team that’s the problem, it’s you. Your app does not perform as expected. An active screen is a basic feature that you can’t just ignore. The watch needs to function even if it’s not on your wrist. Some people wear their watches over their clothing, some people want to use they’re watches while they’re charging, or they take them off before going into the shower. For example I frequently conduct phone calls while my watch is on the charger.

Also I see absolutely ZERO sense in what you’re doing. Why not create the active screen first and then just copy the design with literally one click over to the AOD mode? You’re doing it backwards...

You can’t just expect Samsung to cater to your own set of rules.

In fact, it is not neccessary to design the ACTIVE Mode, because the ALWAYS ON becomes ACTIVE when GYRO/PULSE Sensor is activated.
I tried to design the same for the ACTIVE.
When i design the same gfx for the ACTIVE, it looks good on ACTIVE, BUT it graphicaly destroys the ALWAYS ON Mode, and i dont know why thats happening. Some Pixels go black an vanish on ALWAYS MODE when i designed the same for ACTIVE. So i did not use ACTIVE Design at all.
Board View
Samsung Developer drazen , 49420 Seed Jan 17, 2018 12:11 Post #3 0
This content has been quoted from info’s thought.

In fact, it is not neccessary to design the ACTIVE Mode, because the ALWAYS ON becomes ACTIVE when GYRO/PULSE Sensor is activated. 
I tried to design the same for the ACTIVE.
When i design the same gfx for the ACTIVE, it looks good on ACTIVE, BUT it graphicaly destroys the ALWAYS ON Mode, and i dont know why thats happening. Some Pixels go black an vanish on ALWAYS MODE when i designed the same for ACTIVE. So i did not use ACTIVE Design at all.

It's necessary because Samsung wants the watchfaces to have the Active mode. AOD is optional, but Active is not. 

The issue with copying from Active to AOD is because active mode is 8bit with high color count and AOD for S2 is only 8 colors. Can you post screenshots of your watchface design in AOD mode? 
Board View
Developer info , 6430 Seed Jan 17, 2018 13:31 Post #4 0

This content has been quoted from drazen’s thought.

In fact, it is not neccessary to design the ACTIVE Mode, because the ALWAYS ON becomes ACTIVE when GYRO/PULSE Sensor is activated. 
I tried to design the same for the ACTIVE.
When i design the same gfx for the ACTIVE, it looks good on ACTIVE, BUT it graphicaly destroys the ALWAYS ON Mode, and i dont know why thats happening. Some Pixels go black an vanish on ALWAYS MODE when i designed the same for ACTIVE. So i did not use ACTIVE Design at all.

It’s necessary because Samsung wants the watchfaces to have the Active mode. AOD is optional, but Active is not. 

The issue with copying from Active to AOD is because active mode is 8bit with high color count and AOD for S2 is only 8 colors. Can you post screenshots of your watchface design in AOD mode? 

Sure. please see attached Pictures. then you may understand why i prefer to design in ALWAYS ON MODE first.

The AO gfx are not down-converted by GWD. i designed them all seperatly with PSD and draw Pixel by Pixel to reduce the energy consumption as much as possible.
File Attachments
Board View
Samsung Developer drazen , 49420 Seed Jan 18, 2018 10:50 Post #5 1

Sure. please see attached Pictures. then you may understand why i prefer to design in ALWAYS ON MODE first.

The AO gfx are not down-converted by GWD. i designed them all seperatly with PSD and draw Pixel by Pixel to reduce the energy consumption as much as possible.

Interesting! So you basically design in pixel-sized grid with only 8 basic colors? My suggestion would be this:

- finish the design
- export in PNG with 8 basic colors manually selected in the color pallete
- you end up with a PNG that should be pixel perfect and work 1:1 both on AOD and Active screen
- go to GWD and start in Active screen
- add the bitmap in background
- add complications and clocks
- select to automatically generate AOD watchfaces
- done!

This should enable you to waste no time in your workflow and you would have both active and AOD watchfaces as the review team expects. Also keep in mind that making overly intricate watchfaces for AOD mode can and very likely will cause problems, because in it's essence AOD on S2 was never intended to be used like this. There's the automatic shifter that will move the watchface around, so you may end up with truncated or cut-off items along the edge of the screen. 

My workflow is to always start in Active mode, but I create separate bitmaps for S2 AOD that are low-bit and just swap them at the end. 

Board View
Developer info , 6430 Seed Mar 13, 2018 13:02 Post #6 0

Look at this stupid test. I dont even know what they want from me.

1. "AOD screen is not maintained applied "

WHAT?!?
my first Version still on sale. this was only the update tpk

2. "OPR value is not displayed in AOD mode "

WHAT?!? Why should the OPR Value been shown? I am not a tester and neither the customer.
Also GWD will not build the watchface unless you are below 15% OPR. so what are they testing?

File Attachments
Board View
Developer info , 6430 Seed Apr 01, 2018 20:42 Post #7 0

It is fact, that the watch behavior is different when the watch is on the wrist or not on the wrist.