Create a Tizen .NET Application for Smart TV
This guide describes how to create and run the basic Tizen .NET application. Visit Create Your First Tizen TV .NET Application for complete instructions.
Follow the step-by-step instructions to familiarize yourself with the Tizen .NET application development process.
- Before you start developing Tizen applications, set up the development environment.
- Create a project using Visual Studio.
- Build the application.
- Deploy and run the application.
Create a project
To create a new Tizen .NET project:
Launch Visual Studio.
In the Visual Studio menu, select File > New > Project.
A New Project window appears.
Select Installed > Other Languages > Visual C# > Tizen 4.0 or Tizen 5.0, and select the application template.
Three application templates are provided for the basic blank application:
- Blank App (ElmSharp-Beta) is a single-project template for building Tizen applications with ElmSharp. The ElmSharp is a simple C# wrapper of native EFL Elementary, which provides all the widgets you need to build a full application.
- Blank App (Tizen.NUI) is a single-project template for building Tizen applications with Tizen.NUI.
- Blank App (Xamarin.Forms) is a multiproject template for building applications with Xamarin.Forms, sharing code using a .NET Standard library. Use this template to make a cross-platform application.
Select a template, and enter the Name, Location, and Solution name.
If you selected the Blank App (Xamarin.Forms) template, you will see the Tizen Project Wizard. Select the TV profile, and click OK.
Build the application
The building process performs a validation check and compiles your files. You must sign the application package with an author certificate when building the application. If you have not yet registered a Tizen certificate in Visual Studio, see Certificate Manager.
There are two different ways to build the application:
- In the Visual Studio menu, select Build > Build Solution.
- In the Solution Explorer view, right-click the solution name and select Build.
Tizen .NET applications are always deployed as installed packages. The package files have the
.tpk file extension, and the process of generating a package is controlled by the manifest file (
Deploy and run the application
To run the application, you must first deploy it to the target: either a device or an emulator. Deploying means transferring the package file (
.tpk) to the target and invoking the Tizen package manager to install it.
To deploy and run the application on the emulator:
- In the Visual Studio menu, select Tools > Tizen > Tizen Emulator Manager. Alternatively, click Launch Tizen Emulator in the Visual Studio toolbar to launch the Tizen Emulator Manager.
- In the Emulator Manager, select an emulator from the list and click Launch. If no applicable emulator instance exists, you can create one.
- Once you launch an emulator instance, deploy the application by clicking the emulator instance in the Visual Studio toolbar. To change the deployment target, from the Visual Studio toolbar, select the target from the dropdown.
- If the deployment is successful, the application launches on the emulator you chose (see below):
Checkout the post to deploy and run the application on the TV device.