SDK 4.5 Installation Guide for Windows / Mac OS X / Linux
This guide covers the Smart TV SDK 4.5 install for all supported operating systems (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux).
For an overview of the Smart TV SDK, please refer to Samsung SmartTV SDK 4.5 Overview.
- Processor: Dual Core 1.5GHz / Single Core 3GHz or higher
- RAM: 1 GB or higher
- Windows: Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher, Windows 7
- Mac OS X: 10.6 and above
- Linux: any OS that supports Virtual Box 4.2.4 and later should support the Smart TV SDK 4.5. A full list of supported OS’s can be found at: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
- Screen resolution: 1280 x 1024 or higher
- HDD: 5GB or higher
- The VirtualBox virtualization tool is required to run the Emulator. VirtualBox can be downloaded here: http://www.virtualbox.org/
- Java Standard Edition(Java SE) 1.6 or higher is required. Please download and install the Java Runtime Environment(JRE) from: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
First, please download these 3 items:
- The “SDK IDE Download for <OperatingSystem>” file (from Samsung Developer Forum download website)
- Virtual Box install file for your OS (from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads)
- The “SDK Emulator Image for Virtual Box” file (from Samsung Developer Forum download website)
VirtualBox is a virtualization product that allows virtual machines to run on a variety of host operating systems. The Samsung Smart TV SDK uses VirtualBox to run the TV Emulator. Please download and install VirtualBox. A guide for installing can be found at the following link: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02.html#idp5512464
After installing VirtualBox, start the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager.
- Select File ‣ Import Appliance.
- Select Open Appliance and select the 2013_Smart_TV_Emulator_4_5.ova Emulator file that was downloaded.
- Select Next and then Import.
- After the Emulator is imported, a share folder must be set. Select the 2013_Smart_TV_Emulator and choose Settings ‣ Shared Folders.
- The image below shows the default settings. If you would like to use a different location, please choose a new folder called Apps (it can be located anywhere).
Unzip the Samsung_SmartTV_SDK_IDE_4_5_OperatingSystem.zip install file.
To start the IDE, run the executable file: <Install Directory>/eclipse.exe (the file extension will vary depending on operating system)
When the IDE starts, choose a workspace for your projects. Any location you choose is acceptable:
If the Smart TV Plugin fails to load in the Windows IDE, please start the IDE with administrator privileges by using Run as Administrator...
Web Inspector (Debugger)
To enable the debugging tool (Web Inspector), please install the Google Chrome web browser: https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
Verify that the Google Chrome path is set in the App Editor IDE’s menu Samsung Smart TV SDK ‣ Samsung Smart TV SDK Preferences ‣ PNaCl ‣ Chrome Path.
For information about setting up the PNaCl environment in the Smart TV SDK, please refer to Create a Samsung Smart TV PNaCl App Project.
For information about creating a PNaCl application in the Smart TV SDK, please refer to How to create sample PNaCl application.
Apache Web Server
To deploy apps to a real TV, please install a web server on your development PC. Any standard web server will work, but this guide will focus on the Apache Web Server. The Apache Web Server is available at: http://httpd.apache.org/
After installing the web server, please set web server’s document root directory in Samsung Smart TV SDK ‣ Samsung Smart TV SDK Preferences ‣ Server ‣ Root Folder and Server PC IP.
For further information about using the Smart TV Emulator and Troubleshooting, please refer to the Using the Smart TV Emulator with VirtualBox and Troubleshooting document.