- Yes. Watch Face Studio enables you to create watch faces for Wear OS targeting API level 28+. However, some older Wear OS APIs are not supported.
- The Galaxy Watch Studio serves Tizen’s Galaxy Watch 1, 2, 3.
- In Watch Face Studio, the basic watch shape is circular but it can be adapted for other shapes. For example, if the watch is circular but has a chin, avoid placing components on the lower 20% of the watch face, since they can be hidden by the chin.
- For square watch shapes, Watch Face Studio crops the circular watch shape instead of supplying a square canvas. In addition, placing components at the rim of a watch face is not recommended, because the image can shift on some devices to protect against burn-in.
- Watch Face Studio creates a project with a single resolution, but the created watch face supports all device resolutions.
You can reduce battery usage through the following strategies:
- Use darker colors on the watch face.
- Make sure images are fitted to the screen.
- Make sure you have removed all unused layers before building the watch face package.
Watch Face Studio creations support Wear OS targeting API level 28+. Consequently, you can distribute your watch face through Google Play.
Using too many components in your watch face can affect the performance of the watch face and the battery usage of the device. To optimize the use of components:
- Make sure visible complications are less than 8 in both ambient and normal modes.
- Make sure layers exist only in a visible state in both ambient and normal modes.
- The ambient mode does not support a second hand, so we recommend hiding the second hand.
- Each device has a different spec of OPR (on Pixel Ratio), so you need to check the spec of your watch devices.
- Insert a background image or a transparent shape component into the complication group.
- Test the ‘text’ component on your device with different language settings to view different types of strings for a chosen application.
- Make sure you give as many layouts as possible to a complication to view various combinations of data fields for a chosen application.
- Two types of complications are available: editable and fixed. An editable complication allows the user to change the data provider of the complication. A fixed complication does not allow the data provider to be changed.
The STYLE property window provides a color palette for the theme color. You can register colors and apply the theme color to the components in the LAYER window.
- The Analog Hands, Image, and Index components can register additional images in the STYLE property window.
- The options added in the STYLE property window can be changed by the user through the Customize mode of the watch or companion device, and the user's selection is preserved until the app is removed.
- The selectable items are exposed in the Customize mode, where the Component's name and the Style name of the added image are used.
- For customizable items visible to the user, you should use a meaningful Component name such as "Background" instead of the default "Image 1".
- It is recommended that you change the name of each style in the STYLE property window to convey a clear meaning to the user.
The functionality of passing the heart rate measured and managed in each health application to the watch face is not supported by the platform. Instead, Watch Face Studio provides the ability for each watch face to measure the heart rate face directly by the user.
- Use the [HR] or [HR_Z] tag expressions for a text or a property of an image component.
- Make a button component with 'Action' > 'Tap' > 'Measure Heartrate'
- When the user clicks the button for 'Measure Heartrate', then the device will measure the current heart rate and it will be displayed through the [HR] or [HR_Z] tag expression.
You can set the interval of the heart rate measurement in the main menu > File > Project > Setting > Health.
Additional tags such as [HR_IS_MEASURING] or [HR_LAST_MEASURED_TIME] can be used to provide better usability.
The functionality of passing the step goal managed in each health application to the watch face is not supported by the platform. Instead, Watch Face Studio provides the ability for each watch face to set the step goal.
- You can set the step goal of your watch face in main menu > File > Project > Setting > Health. This is the value of [SC_GOAL].
- [SC_PER] is automatically calculated in percentage using [SC] measured and [SC_GOAL] you set.
Watch faces can be sold in unsupported countries through the local store of the Watch device manufacturer. Watch faces for Galaxy Watch can be sold through Galaxy Apps. For more information, see Galaxy Store Seller portal.