This topic solves various issues you may face while creating Samsung Smart TV applications. Select the applicable section to see the most common questions about a specific subject, and click the section heading to access all the available questions for that subject.
This section includes information related to the design of Samsung Smart TV applications.
Q: Why does my application tile or launcher icon look blurry or distorted?
Make sure your tile or icon image follows the size guidelines. For information on the image size requirements, see App Icons and Screenshots.
For 3 more questions about specific application design elements, such as the user interface and application icons, click here.
This section includes information related to developing Samsung Smart TV applications.
- Q: Can I install my application on a TV through USB?
For security reasons, ".wgt" application package files cannot be installed on a TV through USB. However, you can use the USB Demo Packaging Tool. See more...
For 3 more questions about installing and uninstalling applications, click here.
- Q: Can I test my application without using the Tizen Studio IDE?
To test your application on a TV, you must use the Tizen Studio IDE. You can also use the USB Demo Packaging Tool, available in the Samsung Apps TV Seller Office. See more...
For 26 more questions about testing applications, click here.
- Q: How can I read files from external USB storage and view them in my application?
You can use the FileSystem API to access external USB storage. For more information, see Handling USB Storages and Managing File Operations.
For 6 more questions about handling data and files on the TV, click here.
- Q: How do I retrieve the device ID (DUID)?
On a Samsung Smart TV, you can find the DUID by selecting "Menu > Support > Contact Samsung". To retrieve the DUID from within your application, use the getDuid() method of the ProductInfo API.
For 15 more questions about accessing device information and managing device firmware, click here.
- Q: What extension libraries are available for Smart TVs?
The available extension libraries include Smart View SDK, Native Client (NaCl), CAPH, and TOAST. See more...
- Q: Where can I learn more about the Smart View SDK and how to register an application that uses it?
The Smart View SDK allows you to integrate Android™ devices, iOS devices, and Web browsers with Samsung TV applications. See more...
For 14 more questions about implementing additional features with the available extension libraries, click here.
- Q: Can I create a hosted or cloud-based application?
Yes, but you must be a member of a partner group to create a hosted application. See more...
For 5 more questions about creating hosted applications, click here.
- Q: How do I implement subtitles?
When you implement video playback using the HTML
videoelement, you can add internal captions and subtitles in WebVTT format. You can also use the AVPlay API to support additional subtitle formats in your application. See more...
For 26 more questions about implementing multimedia playback features, click here.
- Q: How do I implement DRM-protected media playback?
You can implement DRM-protected media playback by defining the DRM parameters with the
setDrm()method of the AVPlay API. Samsung TVs support playing media protected using the PlayReady, Widevine, and Verimatrix DRM technologies. See more...
For 7 more questions about implementing playback for media protected by digital rights management (DRM) technology, click here.
- Q: How do I retrieve the current stream information?
You can retrieve various stream property information, such as the current bandwidth, current bitrate, and available bitrates, using the
getStreamingProperty()methods of the AVPlay API. Make sure playback is in progress before retrieving the current stream properties.
- Q: What is the maximum streaming buffer size?
There is no explicit maximum buffer size, but the the AVPlay API implements a 10 second or 15 MB buffer by default. See more...
- Q: Can I implement audio quality or video resolution switching during playback?
Switching the audio quality or video resolution during playback is not supported. However, you can switch between audio tracks during playback.
For 9 more questions about streaming media in applications, click here.
- Q: How do I monitor the network connection status?
Most Web applications use a network connection to, for example, play media and download files. Because the network connection can disconnect and reconnect unexpectedly, checking the network status regularly is very important for application stability. For information on how to monitor network status changes, see Checking Network Status.
For 6 more questions about implementing networking and connectivity features, click here.
- Q: What are privileges and when must I use them?
To use security-sensitive APIs, you must declare the required privileges and sign your application with a certificate for the appropriate privilege level. For more information, see Configuring TV Applications.
For 2 more questions about application privileges, click here.
- Q: Can I run a Tizen application on a Samsung Legacy Platform device?
Tizen applications are not compatible with Samsung Legacy Platform devices. However, you can migrate your application to TOAST, which allows the application to support both platforms. For more information, see Migrating Tizen to TOAST.
- Q: Can I run a Samsung Legacy Platform application on a Tizen device?
You must migrate the application to Tizen first, since Samsung Legacy Platform applications are not compatible with Tizen devices. See more...
For 23 more questions about developing applications for Samsung Legacy Platform, click here.
- Q: Do Samsung Smart TVs support TLS and SSL?
Samsung Smart TVs support TLS (Transport Layer Security), but not SSL (Secure Sockets Layer). See more...
For 5 more questions about implementing security protocols in TV applications, click here.
- Q: What is Smart Hub Preview?
Smart Hub Preview is a feature for Samsung Smart TVs that allows you to show content when the user hovers over your application icon in the launcher. The user can click the preview tile to open the content directly within the application. You can use the preview to promote new or personalized content to the user. For more information, see Smart Hub Preview.
- Q: Why are preview tiles not appearing properly when the application is launched?
Make sure your JSON file URL and the defined tile image URLs are valid. Invalid tile image URLs can cause unexpected Smart Hub Preview behavior.
For 11 more questions about implementing the Smart Hub Preview feature, click here.
- Q: Which TV models are included in each model group?
For the mapping of Samsung Smart TV product year and lineup with the model groups at the Samsung Apps TV Seller Office, see TV Model Groups.
For 23 more questions about the specifications for and the features supported by Samsung Smart TVs, click here.
- Q: Can I implement third-party data management and analytics features in my application?
You can use third-party data management and analytics solutions, such as mParticle and GoogIe Analytics, in the application, but you must contact the provider for support. Samsung does not provide support for third-party features.
For 5 more questions about features provided by third parties, such as YouTube or Facebook, click here.
- Q: I cannot test my application on my TV through the Tizen Studio. How do I fix this?
Make sure the Samsung TV Extension is installed, you have the required distributor certificate privilege level in your certificate profile, and you have allowed application installation on the device. See more...
- Q: What is a certificate profile and how do I create one?
A certificate profile is a combination of the certificates used for signing your application. See more...
For 10 more questions about developing applications with the Tizen Studio, click here.
- Q: How do I disable the pointer or mouse in my application?
To disable the pointer and mouse functionality in your application, add specific tags to the "config.xml" file. See more...
- Q: Which keyboard keys must be mapped to remote control keys?
Even if your application does not support a keyboard, there are a number of hidden keys that work with a keyboard and must be mapped to the remote control keys. See more...
For 16 more questions about user interaction features provided by a keyboard, mouse, or pointer, click here.
- Q: What is multitasking?
Multitasking allows you to save the application state when the user launches another application or TV channel, and restore it when the application is resumed. See more...
- Q: Can I implement in-app purchases?
To offer in-app purchases, you can implement Samsung Checkout in your application. See more...
For 24 more questions about various TV application features, click here.
This section includes information related to publishing Samsung Smart TV applications.
- Q: When submitting my application, I get the "Your registration manifest.xml (or config.xml) file 'Title for Default Language' and Tizen Application Title for Default Language is different." error. How do I resolve it?
To avoid this error, the application title for the default language must be the same as the title defined in the application configuration file, within the
For 17 more questions about registering applications in the Samsung Apps TV Seller Office, click here.
- Q: How do I submit a new version of my application?
You must submit a new version when you add application features or resolve defects. The application update process is similar to the application registration process. See more...
- Q: How do I modify the application information?
After you have registered an application, you can modify the basic application information, such as the title, icon, description, and screenshots, on the Application Info page. See more...
- Q: I lost my author certificate file. What should I do?
A missing author certificate file cannot be recovered. To update any applications that were signed with it, you must create a new certificate and register the applications again, with new application names and IDs. See more...
- Q: When submitting my updated application, I get the "Author signature of the App you would like to register is set incorrectly." error. How do I resolve it?
Make sure your updated application package is signed with the same author certificate used to register the application. See more...
For 8 more questions about updating applications in the Samsung Apps TV Seller Office, click here.
- Q: My application failed certification. How do I find the defect details?
To retrieve information about the defects found during certification, in the Seller Office, select "Applications > Defect Resolution", and click the application name. The defects are grouped by the applicable model group. See more...
- Q: My application was rejected or dropped, but I have fixed the defects without modifying the application package. Can I submit the application for certification again without changing the version number?
No. Each time you want to start the certification process, you must submit a new version of the application with a higher version number, even if the application package content has not changed.
For 5 more questions about resolving certification defects, click here.
- Q: How long does the certification and publication process take? Can I request an expedited review?
On average, the process takes 4 days. The time required to certify and publish your application depends on tester availability and the number of certification rounds needed to resolve defects. See more...
- Q: What are the mandatory features for Samsung Smart TV applications?
Before an application can be published, it is tested by the QA certification team to make sure the features in the Development Checklist are implemented, functional, and follow Samsung TV application policies. See more...
- Q: What do the application and model group status labels mean?
The application status represents the application's overall stage in the application life-cycle, while the model group status represents the certification process stage for a specific model group. See more...
- Q: My application restricts content access to specific countries or IP addresses. Which IP addresses are used by testers?
If your application content has geolocation or IP-restricted access, you must list the applicable countries and permit access through a VPN, or whitelist the testing IP addresses. To access the testing IP address list, in the Seller Office, select "Self Checklist". See more...
- Q: What does the "SP-Reviewing" status mean? How long does the SP-review process take?
Applications for unsupported devices (more than 3 years old) are certified through Special Process Review (SP-review). SP-review certification can take several weeks.
- Q: Can I modify the application information during certification?
Most application information fields can be modified at any time. However, some fields, such as the application title for the default language, category, and icon images, cannot be modified during the certification process. See more...
- Q: Can I cancel or drop the certification process?
Yes. In the Seller Office, you can drop an application from the certification process through the App Information page. If you want to submit the application again later, you must increment its version number. See more...
For 14 more questions about the QA certification process, click here.
- Q: How do I create a partner group?
To create a partner group, you must sign an agreement with your local Samsung Content Manager, and submit a partnership request through the Seller Office. See more...
- Q: How do I transfer application ownership to another Seller Office member?
To transfer ownership of an application to another Seller Office member, create a "1:1 Q&A" support ticket. See more...
For 6 more questions about Samsung Apps TV Seller Office membership and group management, click here.
- Q: Who is my local Content Manager, and what is their role?
Your Samsung Content Manager helps you manage various application development and distribution scenarios. To request the contact information for your local Content Manager, create a "1:1 Q&A" support ticket. See more...
- Q: My application has been published. Why is it not visible on Samsung Apps TV?
Make sure you are using a TV from the model groups and the service country you defined when you registered the application in the Seller Office. See more...
- Q: Where can I find statistics about my application download and usage?
To view statistics for your application, in the Seller Office, select "Report > Samsung Smart TV Analytics > Apps". You can filter the usage statistics in various ways, such as by application name, region, TV model, and time period. See more...
- Q: What does it mean to suspend or terminate an application?
When an application is suspended or terminated, it is dropped from Samsung Apps TV. Suspended applications can be restored at any time, while terminated applications are permanently removed. See more...
- Q: Can I hide my application from specific model groups?
Yes. You can hide an application from specific model groups, which makes it unavailable on Samsung Apps TV for those models only. To request hiding an application, create a "1:1 Q&A" support ticket. See more...
For 14 more questions about managing applications in the Samsung Apps TV Seller Office, click here.
This section includes information related to developing Tizen .NET TV applications.
Q: Can I debug my Tizen .NET TV application on an actual TV?
Yes, you can test and debug Tizen .NET TV applications on 2019 and later Samsung TV models.
Q: Can I use the "DllImport" attribute to interoperate with native libraries from the TizenFX framework?
No. For security reasons, you cannot use the
DllImportattribute to call methods from native ".so" libraries within the TizenFX framework. However, you can use the
DllImportattribute to call methods from signed native ".so" libraries within your application package. See more...
For 2 more questions about developing applications for Tizen .NET TV, click here.